Chapter Ten

“Is he really that bad? I mean, it’s just a nickname… A cute nickname, Loz.” Groaning, I resisted the urge to hang up on Cassie right then and there, but I wasn’t in the mood for her to be pissed at me for the rest of the day.

            “Cass, what is the point of me telling my best friend about my problems if she’s just gonna take the problem’s side? This is serious friendship betrayal.”

            “I’m just saying, you’re upset for, literally, the dumbest thing! And I know what you’re thinking, don’t try and annoy him back! Fighting fire with fire, blah blah blah.”

            Cassie had a point, she always did, and I hated that about her. “Cassandra Gwendolyn, why must you always be my voice of reason?”

            “Because you would die or seriously embarrass yourself if I wasn’t.”

            “So true… I’ve got to go to class now and deal with the pain in the ass. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

            “Yea, go learn! Ugh, you make me proud everyday you beautiful angel, so proud.” Saying our final goodbyes with a laugh, I hung up the phone and walked into my classroom, taking my seat and waiting patiently for class to start.

            “Hey, Lo” from my peripherals I could see Ashton sliding into his seat, looking forward as our professor started the class. I didn’t say anything, I wasn’t gonna give him any of my attention unless it was life or death. Some would say I was acting a little too dramatically for this situation, but some should also mind their own business. “Lauren, I know you’re trying to ignore me, but we need to talk about the project.”

            “Can’t that wait until after class, I’m not really in the mood to get called out in front of the class again.” Finally looking at him, I raised an eyebrow as if to challenge him to even try. He simply nodded, turning back to the front of the class. That was… easy? I thought as I myself turned to the front of the class, tuning my attention back to the lesson.

            By the time the lesson was over, I was ready to jump out of my seat and just get out of there. Who knew music theory would be so boring? I did… literally from the beginning. But, before I could even get out of my seat, Ashton was turning to me in his own seat.

            “Alright, can we talk now?” I sighed, nodding in his direction as I started to make my way out of the classroom.

            “Yea, but we need to walk because I need change and get to my next class and for, what I am guessing is a long and cruel joke being pulled on me by the universe, you’re always the reason why I’m late. So talk and walk at the same time.” Not stopping my movement, I quickened my pace to get to my dance building, Ashton was easily in step with me.

            “Alright, well, it’s really more about the location of where we’re gonna meet next week? See, my mom is working the late shift that night, and I need to watch my siblings. And, I don’t know if you have any siblings, but I don’t want them coming into the city—“