Chapter Forty

(Lauren's POV)

A couple of weeks have gone by since Cassie and I both got back from our winter vacations and school has started up again, a new semester with a new batch of hellish classes to make us miserable. But, just because school has started again, doesn't mean we didn't find reasons to have social gatherings.

We were all gathered around my fireplace, just in from the freezing cold and falling snow, thawing ourselves slowly. Cassie and I were crouched down close to the fire hands up and shivering while the boys sat behind us, making fun of how we were 'over reacting'. Eventually, our bodies were warm enough for us to function properly without the constant support of the fire.

"It's about time, I was starting to think the two of you had gotten frostbite or something!" Ashton laughed, placing his arm over my shoulder, pulling me close to his side on the couch.

"Well, for a moment, it felt like I did! So, don't laugh at me!" I giggled, smacking his arm lightly. Before he could come back at me with some sarcastic comment, Ben and Michael were walking through the threshold of the kitchen, seven cups of steaming liquid in hand.

"We made hot chocolate," Michael sang as he and Ben began passing out cups, everyone sighing in content at the hot beverages, "and we put a shit ton of Bailey's in them!" Nodding, I took my first sip, content, until the sound of spitting and coughing came from the couch next to me.

Looking over quick, I could see Cassie hunched over, Calum rubbing her back trying to ease her coughing. Almost immediately, she was off the couch and looking around at us, eyes wide.

"Oh, uh, it was just really hot! And you know what, I'm not really in the mood for hot chocolate right now... But, thank you, guys, that was really sweet of you." A half assed smile on her face, Cassie made her way to the kitchen, eyes falling to the ground as she did so.

"What the hell was that about?" Michael whispered, making sure she couldn't hear him.

"I'm... Not sure?" I replied, my eyes not leaving the doorway leading to the kitchen. Standing up, I made my way into the kitchen, finding Cassie hunched over the sink, mumbling to herself. "Cass?"

Her head shot up, looking at me, another small smile on her face. "Lauren! Sorry about that, I'll clean up whatever mess I made, I don't know that I was thinking," Standing up straight, wiping what seemed to be a small tear from her eye, Cassie walked towards me, heading to the living room once more, my arm coming up and stopping her in her tracks.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, not so fast! What's up, are you ok?" I asked in a hushed tone, looking her in the eyes, searching for any kind of giveaway.

"Nothing, I'm fine, Loz," shooting her a look of disbelief, I lifted my eyebrow, knowing she was lying to me. Her eyes locked on mine, she kept her smile on, nodding her head slowly, "Really, I'm fine." Without another word, she walked past me and into the living room, joining the boys and laughing it off as if nothing had just happened.

The rest of the night, I couldn't stop myself from watching Cassie's every move. There was something wrong and it was so obvious. After a couple of hours of her sitting in almost silence, Cassie finally stood up from the couch, everyone's eyes falling on her.

"I think I'm going to head home, I'm pretty tired," everyone groaned, upset that she was leaving what seemed, and was, so early in the night.

"Let me walk you home, babe," Calum offered, reaching for Cassie's hand, to which she denied, making us all look at her confused.

"Thanks, but my driver is right outside, I appreciate it Cal," Leaning up, she pressed a small kiss on Calum's cheek, stroking the other softly before retreating to the front hall and out of the house.