Facts

15 years ago; Fall; Freshman Year
Eastview University
September

Joy continuously adjusted her crown as she kept in step with Chance's long legs. They were in the back of the court line. "This shit don't make no damn sense." He mumbled.

"Hush, we're almost to the stadium. And wave at the folks." She lightly nudged his side.

"They ain't say all these folk was gon be outchea." Chance continued to complain.

"You a lie. They did! We have one of the winningest football teams in the conference. Did you not listen to a damn thing in the meeting?" Joy whispered.

"Nah, not really. I just heard what kinda suit we needed to have on and after that I was playing games on my phone."

"Do you do anything? Honestly."

"Well, Miss Freshman, I'm the top member at large. I just look good." He snickers. "I do nothing."

"That's good to know. Now wave to the people." She turns her head away to parade wave.

"You take this shit too serious."

"I would agree if I wasn't the reigning Miss Teen USA as it stands." She reminds him. The court makes it to the stadium and take their seats.

"I guess that matters." Chance rolls his eyes as the queen eyes them out the side of her oversized hat. "Just promise you don't turn into her when you become Miss Eastview."

"Who said I'd win the crown?" she chuckles as the band makes their entrance. "That's so far from my mind. My graduating year? Really Chance?"

"Why not you? If not you, then who?" he lifts an eyebrow. "You don't give yourself enough credit. If you can beat out some antebellum ass white girls from the South to win Miss USA, then you can beat these basic ass...girls for the real crown."

"You have more confidence than it's worth."

"Maybe I do." Chance shrugs while giving Mykel a head nod from a distance. "Ain't nun wrong with a lil confidence in ya friends."

"That's true." She shrugs while taking a pom pom from one of the advisors. "What about you? SGA president?"

"Nah, niggas is not ready for me to take SGA president for real. They think they are." he rubs his goatee with a playfully devious smirk on his face.

"Where the hell did you get this confidence from? Damn..."

"Minnelli, baby girl. Don't know how many times I gotta tell you that. I always get what I want."

"I've heard." She gives him a sly look from under her oversized hat. "What building haven't you been through?"

"Correction. What building doesn't have stories about me? My last name will precede me. That's the hand I've been dealt Joy. But everybody ain't had alla dis." He gestures to his body under the suit.

"Please have some decorum to yourself for once." Joy covers her face, laughing. The team runs out on the field and the crowd goes wild. "How come you didn't play sports?"

"I did...a lil baseball like my grandpops."

"Were you good?"

"Mane, get the fuck..." he gives her a really bih look, "I was headed to the league. Then Mama Ellie said no."

"You call your mom by her real name?" she looked at him incredulously.

"Long story. If I like you enough, I'll tell you one day."

"Boy...bye!" she knocks shoulders with him.

Off in the distance, enjoying the view, an older couple smirked to themselves. "How long you give them?" Ellie asked her husband.