In Her Place

"So you want to do what now?" Luna closed the door to Freya's studio and sat down.

"I want to release an album using my own likeness, not Flame's."

Luna twisted her lips as she thought about the proposal. "Do you have some music written up to support this?"

"Yes...I do, Lu!" Freya crossed her arms with a smile. "I haven't had time to get in the booth but lyrics are written, if that's what you're asking."

"Not entirely but I like it..." Luna chuckled. "Freya, Formerly Known as Flame." She mulled over the idea.

"Bitch think she Prince or sum." Sasha made her presence known with her baby strapped to her chest. The cousins embraced tightly. "It's been a while."

"Yes, it has." Freya pulls out her songwriting book. "But what I really want to know is..." she turned her attention to Luna, "do you and Marcus have a thing?"

"What?"

"I didn't stutter, Luna."

"I mean...sometimes it's serious. And others..." Luna stares off at the full moon outside. "I wish I had the courage to speak on how I feel."

Three years and some change ago,
Luna Freeman
University of Denver campus

I stepped off the curb with my bag on my shoulder and phone in the left hand. One more semester, I thought. Let's get it.

"Aye bitch, you outta class yet?" Noelle King blew up my phone the moment I got in the car. "Slide through. I got that Stella Black you was talkin bout."

I couldn't stop laughing. "I'll get the wings then." I promised and we decided on a time. I went back to my spot to shower and lock up for the night, just in case.

"What made you blow me up? Yo nigga canceled?"

"He said some shit about getting in with some folk and I didn't even let him finish. I hung up on his ass. So, it's just me and you." I nodded my head and took my coat and Ugg boots off.

We didn't even waste time trying to get something to eat and settling to watching the hit show, You.

"I can't believe you're Freya's sister. Like I'm a huge ass fan of hers."

"Believe it. That's my big sister, and I have a younger sister, Meadow." I couldn't even lie. I liked Noelle. I met her literally my first day back in Denver. She worked as an airport attendant and was the first face I saw in the airport. We hit it off when discussing college. "It's not something I let people know off top. We're very private people and we like to keep it that way."

"I completely understand. It's safe with me."

It was a welcomed experience knowing that home didn't really feel like home anymore.

Tonight, was the first time I'd even told Noelle that Freya was my sister. Only because Freya called, and I answered her FaceTime.

Midway through our show Noelle looked at her phone in confusion and then alarm. "I guess he changed his mind about coming..."

"Who?" I stood up to put my Uggs back on. I didn't like overstaying my welcome with folk and their man.

"My boyfriend. Unless you wanna meet him and his friend?"

"I guess I could. I don't look too ugly." I gestured to my outfit. No sooner than I decided to take my Uggs off again, did her door open. I immediately realized I'd met her boyfriend before, Stephon. "Null nih Steph!"

"Luuu-NAAA...wassup fool?" he pulled me up off the couch. We went to high school together before we disappeared when my parents died. "How you been!"

Noelle clears her throat, but I knew what she wanted to know. "We went to high school together before I...moved." I summed it up quickly.

A few minutes later, a hard knock stopped the conversation in mid-sentence. Stephon stood up to answer the door. I heard him slap hands with someone and they entered the room from the small foyer.

"This is my patna, Marcus. Marcus, this Luna." Stephon introduces us. I give the newcomer a wassup head nod, barely even giving him a glance. He returns it but with a sultry smirk on his face.

An hour later, I learned that Marcus and Stephon met freshman year and had become something like friends. There was something about the tattooed man that I was attracted to, but at the same time, something dangerous lurking under the surface. Something familiar...like a time in the past.

During the night, Noelle sent them to the store for something. I met her in the kitchen to inquire about him. "Where did Marcus come from?"

"I don't know...Steph brought him home like a stray cat one day. He pulled up in the parking lot in a Lamborghini and a full black suit with a black bookbag. I thought it was a little weird. Steph asked me to let him stay the night. Just for one night. I was leery at first." She shrugged.

"What made you change your mind?"

"Nothing initially until my rent money kept being sent back. When I went to see the manager, they told me someone had paid my rent in full until the day of my lease is over."

"And you think it was Marcus?"

"He told me one day outright." She shrugged again. "I was grateful too because that's an extra set of money in my pocket."

"Does he talk a lot?"

"Not really. But he's definitely a blunt muhfucka, almost mean, I'd say. I know that much. But Steph can roll with him without a second thought. Like he was used to the shit."

We shared a laugh and the door opened again. Marcus' aura takes over the area yet again. What the fuck? I think to myself. There was nothing different about him really. Except his eyes. I could stare in them all day. It was then I knew he was a dangerous man.

"Staring at a person for more than ten seconds means either you want to kill them or fuck them. Which one would you rather do, Luna...Freeman, right?"

My face turned redder than an apple. "I..." I was tongue-tied. I looked away quickly. "How do you know my name?" I squinted.

"I know you." His smirk sent a chill up my spine. "Freya, Luna and Meadow...Fall Music Festival."

My heart dropped. "Marcus Minnelli..."

And suddenly a familiar time rushed back anyway. "Shame it took you that long."

"Shuddup Marcus." I rolled my eyes playfully.

The night is getting later and later before Noelle and Steph retired to their room. She really threw me to the wolves for dick...

Ten minutes later, she came back out a little flustered. "I got it, ma'am." I stood up first and adjusted my jeans. Noelle looked at me with an apologetic smile on her face.

"I really got kicked out over some dick." I mumbled with a laugh. The breeze rippled through me. I didn't know Marcus was listening intently to me. "Wish I was getting some too, shit."

"Nah, lil Lulu fuckin now?"

"Sir!" I yelled out. "Don't worry bout this lil hot pocket." I flip my hair over my shoulders.

His chuckle sent another chill. He wrapped his arms around me. "That's fair. I deserve it." Sparks traveled up my spine. Sparks I remembered at seventeen years old.

"What you doing now?" I shift the conversation.

"Whatever you tryna do." He sat on top of his car. His mouth shaped like he knew something I didn't.