A Better Example

Subtitle: Get it Right

"You should be able to tell me what it really is that has you this way." Laci made herself comfortable in Mykel's office a few days after the rally.

"I'd met my Bond." He admitted while staring at the computer in front of him. Laci sat up straight. "And I was going to see her the day I had to step down."

"What the hell? Why didn't you say that?"

"Shit happened so fast. We were going to the lake...long story short, she not fuckin with me in any capacity. I forgot to cancel the date." he rubs his forehead. "I sent her some money to smooth it over."

"Money means nothing when it was your presence she was expectin, Kel. You should know that. And it's the way you did it. Did you ask her if she wanted it?"

"No. I just thought-"

"Your Bond is not some bottom bitch that would gladly take the 10 racks without question. Or would prefer the money over you anyway. Ryan didn't tell you that huh?"

"Laci."

"Get out your feelings long enough to look at it from her point of view. You disappeared and then popped up as a VP candidate in a presidential candidate. And then you probably forced your way in her home and y'all argued and still didn't come to a compromise." Laci folds her arms. "You and Chance are the oldest and clearly the most stupid." She frowned.

"Damn, Lace." Mykel looked his cousin up and down in slight disgust.

"You didn't tell Chance what you had going on personally. You didn't tell her up front what you had to do but now you're hurting and she is too. Being stubborn isn't going to help you. She is not Joy and you are not Chance. Y'all are different. She will not accept this life so openly. Our mothers didn't, so I don't know why you expected that from her."

"What do I do then?"

"Let it happen naturally. Speak her language."

The hair salon buzzed with activity. Chemicals from relaxers, burning hair from curlers, and loud laughter filled the air. Sunny sat in the chair getting her hair pre-treated and listened to the banter from the older women.

She'd been coming to this same shop since she was a girl.

Suddenly the banter died down as a brand-new black Rolls Royce pulled up outside. Sunny could see the driver open the door and three women get out. He nods his head to them, and they started up the small flight of stairs.

"Not y'all pullin up to the hood!" a fellow patron laughed out. The older women of the three smiled and rolled their eyes at the same time. They were clearly sisters.

"Leave them be Willona, that's family."

"Oh I know exactly who they is!" the woman turned her attention to the outdated magazine in her hand.

"Whew chyle! It's been years a Sundays, ain't it?" The hairstylist jested with one of the newcomer women.

"Now sis, don't even do that!" The woman laughed. Her leg was crossed at the knee and red bottoms adorned her feet. "What's the tea these days?"

"Before we get into that, I heard you got a promotion chyle! Congratulations!"

"Oh no, I didn't, but my baby did." she pats her daughter's hand in pride.

"Ain't no thang." The daughter in question smirked confidently as she sat down in her stylist's chair. "But thank ya." The woman smiled genuinely. Her expensive jewelry, pearls and diamonds to be exact glistened, instantly drawing attention.