Looming Storms

Subtitle: Water Under the Bridge
Two weeks later; Spring, April; 10 years ago

Joy stood taking pictures with students. With the race winding down, she knew it would be a fight. Her opponents each had a head over her in the preliminary polls. Schools like Eastview took their queen seriously as she had a significant amount of power and influence concerning the student body.

They needed someone who'd always go to bat for them when the administration was no longer interested in doing so.Ever since the First Lady of the United States at the time was once a Miss Eastview, campaigns and voting had skyrocketed.

Alexis and Quinn stood off to the side waiting for her to discuss one last strategy. Her carnival idea was a smash hit.

They make their way back to her Miss Junior conference room/office. "I think a women's tea would be nice." Quinn throws out an idea.

"Too exclusive. Who would we invite? Just women? We need male votes." Alexis vehemently disagrees. Joy watches the students enjoy her carnival from the window.

"Fashion show." Quinn blurts.

"What?"

"Yes. An all-inclusive fashion show. Geeks, Greeks, nerds, blerds. I want errbody!" the door opens. Chance and his advisor stroll in. Alexis couldn't even fix her face from a frown.

"We're busy right now." Joy shoos them out. Chance takes a seat at the table. His advisor sits beside him. "I'm serious."

"So, what's the plan?" Chance ignores her.

"I take it that y'all are back together?" Quinn pulls her glasses down.

"It's complicated."

"Yes."

They blurt their answers at the same time.

"So which is it? Y'all are back together but it's complicated? Look, we do not have time for games." Quinn is over it.

"No, if you're gonna do it. Do it right!"

"What is she talking about yo?" Chance is irritated. Advisor is just quiet.

"Maybe another time, sir?"

"Grandpop, don't call me sir."

"It was just a suggestion." Zolan shrugs playfully.

Three years earlier; Fall Freshman year

Joy and her friends sat on the dummy wall laughing. Her eyes scanned the area carefully. An older man with a cane piqued her interest. She'd never seen him before. Traffic had picked up since students were leaving for the day.

"I'll be back y'all." She mumbles. Quinn gives a head nod and continues the conversation with the boys in front of her.

Joy reaches the man. "You need some help crossing the street?"

"Yes but what could you do lil lady?" he flirted. If he was about thirty years younger...hmm.

"Help you across the street, I know that much." She laughs. She holds the man's hand tightly and stands at the curb. A car slows down and allows them to cross.

"Well thank you, what's your name?" he asks her.

"Joy Washington."

"Well, my name is Cairo." He smiles. He looks up the road to see his grandson coming toward them. A light breeze cools Joy off for a moment.

"Aye, Joy!" Chance hollers. "Who were you talking to?"

"A man named Cairo." She turns to introduce him. "He was just here..." she looks around. The breeze happens again. Joy frowns and shrugs. "I'm about to go to the café. Wanna come?"