Chapter 40

Carlisle jumps to Bella's side while Dorothea scampers off to the kitchen, ready to heal the mortal. Edward, though white as a bone, snaps out of it and stands between Bella and Carlisle who updates him, knowing Edward might be protective. "I'll have to stitch this up. Dorothea is setting up the kitchen as we speak."

"I'll carry her to the kitchen." Edward moves to pick Bella up, but his eyes dart to the blood. "I'll take care of her, Edward. Check on Jasper and your mother. Go." Edward looks from him to Bella. Then steps back, allowing Carlisle to lift Bella and carry her to the kitchen.

But just before the kitchen door closes, Bella sees Edward's agonized face. He turns away, unable to meet her eyes.

Bella sits in a chair opposite Carlisle who mops up her blood as he removes glass shards from her arm. He drops one into a bowl that Dorothea was holding. She tries not to look at the blood as the two vampires focus on healing her wound. "I sure can kill a party."

"It's not your fault. Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us," Carlisle's voice was smooth and low, giving the mortal a glance before looking at Dorothea's worried expression for her mate. "Seems like you two are the only ones that are not fazed."

"Centuries of practice." Dorothea just nods her head, too busy cleaning the rag that was now blood red. "Did you ever think of... living differently?" / "I enjoy my work too much. Helping people, saving lives. I'm hoping there's a point to my existence, even if I am damned."

"Damned? You're not damned."

"Then you and I agree. But Edward doesn't believe there's an afterlife for our kind. He thinks we've lost our souls."

"That's why he won't... He thinks he'd be damning me."

"If you believed as he did, would you risk it?"

Dorothea just listens to their conversation, not interfering with them, this seems like a deep conversation and something Dorothea would love to be kept out of. Well, Bella was speechless to answer Carlisle, she change the conversation to now aiming at the young vampire. "Dorothea, why didn't you warn me?"

Dorothea just tilts her head to the side, faking a questioning look knowing where this is going already and yet slightly offended. "Edward told me that you're the most powerful within your family. Being able to control someone's action and emotions, able to see their past and their future. So why didn't you warn me." Carlisle took note of Bella's irate tone for the no warning while Dorothea wasn't daunted by it, keeping a mature front.

"My powers are incredible. Some say that I'm God's gift. Being able to disarray with someone's fate,  just by informing them what I see. But Bella, you're a smart girl-" Carlisle had moved to the side letting Dorothea bandage the wound up.

"If I tell you how your fate applies, don't you think you'll lose something in the end?" Dorothea had a tight grip on Bella's arm as if warning her to listen and not be so naive to her emotion that she lost her logic, "If I were to tell you that you would get hurt, you for sure are going to avoid it. But someone else would get the pain instead. Alice? Emmet? Perhaps Esme?"

Dorothea noticed that the names she spoke didn't affect Bella, as if she cared less about them. This didn't go well in her heart, but for now ignore as she spoke someone she knew Bella would react to, "Or even Edward... Having this gift isn't constantly incredible. I can't intervene with the future, it could affect the worse. Simple to say, it's a butterfly effect."

Dorothea came back to her sense, seeing the clean bandage arm, the vampire let out a tired sigh. Too much is happening and more seems to come just because of a mortal in front of her.

A soft sorry came out, and Bella felt like a child for aiming her anger at her. Dorothea just chuckles putting aside the slight hurt feeling, she left Bella and Carlisle alone, knowing her father will start his nagging action about how to take care of the wound.

Dorothea went straight to her bedroom, not bidding Bella goodbye as Edward drives her home, just craving the cuddle she had promised to give to her mate.

Entering her room, her sight immediately caught Jasper's frown, a nightmare? She forgot how Jasper would say during his mortal years, that his dream only consist of nightmares. Despite using her abilities to cast Jasper to sleep, she forgot to apply a dream.

Slowly sitting at the side of the bed, she lingers her fingers on her man's forehead to go through his mind into the dream. Image of Jasper feeding off humans, Jasper stood tall on a stack of unknown humans probably more than a hundred. He was softly sobbing and shaking looking at himself, blood covered his shirt and was dripping from his lips.

Gradually changing that dream Jasper had, Dorothea instead showed a memory of their first meeting and the dance they had.

Jasper's frown had disappeared completely as a full-on smile appears on his sleepy features. "Dorothea... Darling... My love?" Hearing her mate whisper her name made her awed by the cuteness, carefully slid under the covers and into her lover's arm to enjoy short shut eyes.