Dum spiro spero S2 E7

Third Person POV

After the announcement that the Witchfinder was coming to Camelot, Merlin followed Gaius back to their chambers and was immediately cornered by the anger and disappointment of Gaius' wrath.

"How many times, Merlin?" Gaius asked angrily as they walked in. "How many times must I drive it into that thick skull of yours that your magic is a secret to be guarded with your life. What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking," Merlin admitted until he realised that he had in fact known exactly what he was doing. "Actually, you know what? Yeah, I was thinking straight. After everything that has happened these last few weeks to us all I just thought that it would cheer Chelsea up. I know it wasn't a lot but the look on her face when she saw it was worth it."

"The Princess was with you?" Gaius asked, mouth agape.

"Well, yeah—" Merlin began but Gaius cut him off.

"Do you know what would happen if you got caught together? Huh? Now how would you explain to the witness why you and Chelsea were together?" Gaius challenged.

"But she didn't see her," Merlin assured him.

"It's a damn miracle that the whole Kingdom doesn't know about you both. You're being reckless and careless not just with your magic, but also with your relationship, Merlin," Gaius said.

"You're right, I'm sorry," Merlin apologised.

"You must hide the book and anything that can connect you to sorcery in any way," Gaius told him.

Merlin nodded his head to show that he had heard but then noticed Gaius staring at him.

"What, now?" Merlin asked.

"Yes, now, Merlin," Gaius said, urgency in his voice. "The man that Uther has sent for, I know him."

"The Witchfinder?" Merlin remembered.

"Some know him by that name. I know him as Aredian. He is a force to be reckoned with," Gaius told him.

"But I'm not a witch," Merlin reminded Gaius, a small smile on his face. "Look, no dress or anything." Gaius just continued to stare at Merlin. "I'll get the book."

"Merlin, wait," Gaius spoke out, making Merlin turn back to him. Gaius cleared his throat and approached him. "I know what I am about to say, you won't like. But Aredian sees everything. He has a way of finding out the truth even when you don't give it to him. Until this is all over, and I know that you won't appreciate the thought, but until Aredian has come and left Camelot... I suggest you and Chelsea take some time apart."

"What?" Merlin asked confused.

"If you two are constantly sparing glances or seeing each other without Arthur around, Aredian will get suspicious. He will discover the truth and out you both to the King," Gaius explained, but Merlin just shook his head.

"We can be careful," Merlin assured him.

"If that were true we wouldn't be in this position in the first place," Gaius said, making Merlin look down sadly. "It won't be for long and this will be better for both of you in the long run."

Merlin looked up at Gaius and he knew that what he was saying was true. He didn't want it to be, but it was. And now he had to get Chelsea to see it too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chelsea POV

After I found out that the Witchfinder was coming, I immediately returned to my room to hide everything and anything that could link me to sorcery in my secret room. I had heard of this Witchfinder before and I knew for a fact that he was very thorough in his searches so I had to make sure that everything was well hidden. Part of me was really worried that he would find this room and see everything in it so I made sure that the book that unlocked the bookshelf was as blended in as the rest of my books.