A Taste of Hemlock to Take the Pain S2 E12

A/N Ok, so as I wrote this chapter I was actually quite ill. It wasn't covid or anything but I have just felt pretty shitty this week so I apologise now if this chapter isn't as good.

If there was ever going to be a being alive that knew of what we should do, it was going to be the Great Dragon that laid impatiently under the castle. From what I had heard and seen from Merlin over the last couple of weeks, the Dragon was getting restless, waiting to break out from his cell, his chains. Not that I blamed him, anyone would want to be free of that especially if they had been there for something like twenty years.

So with a lit flame in our hand, Merlin and I ran down the length of stairs to his cave, hoping, praying that he would have the answer on how to end Camelot's misery and suffering. But on our arrival, the dragon appeared to be asleep, his tail curled around himself and his eyes fastened shut.

"Please don't tell me he's also been affected," I groaned, running a hand of frustration through my hair.

"No, he isn't," Merlin assured me before he turned to the dragon himself. "What's going on? Why is everyone asleep?" Merlin's questions, the dragon let out a few loud snores.

"Are you sure he isn't actually asleep?" I asked Merlin, peering closely at the "sleeping" creature.

"Please, we need your help. What are we going to do?" Merlin spoke to the dragon. He hesitated for a moment, listening carefully to the dragon before he narrowed his eyes at him. "Don't pretend. I know you're listening to me."

With an almighty yawn, the dragon sat up and looked down at us with his piercing gaze, stretching out his great wings as he did so.

"I don't need to listen to you, Merlin. You always say the same thing, 'Help me!' And yet you refuse to give me anything in return," Kilgharrah responded. "Now you will face the consequences of that decision. Camelot's end is nigh and there's nothing you nor your princess can do about it."

"I know I promised to free you. And I will," Merlin assured him, but Kilgharrah just burst out laughing. "I will I promise."

"I no longer trust your promises," Kilgharrah admitted. I noticed Merlin glance over at me and the hand that was clutched around one of his.

"I swear on Chelsea's life," Merlin swore, making me feel torn between rolling my eyes and giving him a big smile.

"You're really making a habit of that, aren't you?" I asked. Merlin only responded with an apologetic smile.

"Careful what you say," Kilgharrah warned him, making us both look over at the dragon, wondering if there was a hidden meaning behind his warning. Unease settled in my stomach, as I looked at the dragon with desperation in my eyes.

"You have to help us, please," I requested. "I can't let my city fall and the innocent people die."

Kilgharrah was silent for a moment before he looked at Merlin then back at me before back to Merlin.

"Her life matter more to you than you own?" Kilgharrah asked, though he wasn't waiting for any answer from either of us. "This is an oath I believe you will honour."

"I will," Merlin confirmed.

Nodding his great head to himself, Kilgharrah looked down at us with a different expression on his face, an expression that I couldn't quite place.

"It is one thing to cast a spell that puts everyone to sleep, the power to maintain it is a very different matter. It will need more than just words to break this enchantment," Kilgharrah explained.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You must eradicate the source," Kilgharrah answered.

"Great! What is that?" Merlin inquired, excitement evident in his voice.