Bullseye of the Heart S2 E9

Things between my father, Arthur and myself had been slightly awkward over the last few days to say the least. I mean, Arthur had tried to kill him and then I (along with Merlin) had saved him; both of which were extremely rare and unusual things to witness. I had done everything in my power to avoid being near him and had done fairly well so far but apparently the universe had other plans for today.

Arthur and I were currently sitting opposite our father in the Great Hall as he explained his excitement for a person of magic who was being brought in later on tonight. Clearly, he thought that he was going to be killing two birds with one stone; killing a magical being as well as giving the public some sick form of entertainment in the form of an execution.

"The trader should be arriving early in the morning of tomorrow. I should like to have the execution ready for the afternoon," father said, stuffing his mouth with grapes, as I rested my chin on my hand, counting how many chiselled swirls were engraved on the columns.

I had just reached 43 when I felt Arthur kick my foot with his. Straightening up, I looked over at father, who had been watching me, apparently waiting for me to answer a question.

"Erm... yes," I guessed, but seeing the shock on my father's face, I quickly changed my answer. "No. Maybe." I looked over at Arthur, hoping he would give me some clue as to what the question was but he was currently covering his mouth with his hand, trying to hide a laugh. "What was the question?"

"Were you not listening?" father accused.

No. No, I wasn't.

"Of course I was. I'm just double checking that you can remember what you said, make sure you don't have an illness with your brain or something like that. Better be safe than sorry, especially since you are getting older. Can't have a kingdom with a nutter as a king," I shrugged.

Father ignored my comment and instead cleared his throat, leaning back in his chair.

"I asked if you were going to attend the sorcerer's execution," father said, making me roll my eyes.

"What makes you think I'm going to attend an event where the whole purpose is to slaughter someone," I replied.

"That's a crude way to put it," Arthur commented.

"A crude word for a crude event," I defended. "So in answer to your question, I will not be attending and I really think you should stop making an event of this. Sorcerer or not, they are still people and deserve some dignity."

"They resigned their dignity the moment they chose to study magic," father replied.

"Right, thought you'd say something like that," I muttered sarcastically.

"I know you may not see it now, but one day, you will see that I am right," father said, eating another bunch of grapes.

"I won't hold my breath," I countered, leaning back in my chair, and resuming my chisel counting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~