Only Time Will Tell S2 E8

After leaving the ruins of Morgause's castle, we began our journey back to Camelot. Despite Merlin's constant attempts at trying to talk some sense into the pair of us, neither Arthur and I were hearing much due to the anger and hatred we had for our father. He had sacrificed our mother's life, meddling with magic, knowing that she was going to die. And since then he had ruthlessly slaughtered hundreds, possibly even thousands of innocent civilians even if it was only a rumour of their use for magic.

Even as we trotted through the villages that led to the citadel, I wondered how many people here had lost family members due to my father's idiocy. When we had eventually reached the city centre, I wasted no time jumping off of Cinnamon and storming off towards the great hall, knowing that was where the tyrant would be. And just as I predicted, he was there. Inside the hall, father and Leon were stood there, looking down at some parchment.

Before I could even begin to say anything, I felt a slight draft pass me as Arthur stormed further into the room and closer to father.

"Arthur. Chelsea. Where have you been?" father asked. "I've had search parties out looking for you." Neither Arthur nor I said anything as we continued to stare daggers at him. "Arthur. Chelsea."

"We know... what you did to our mother," I said, my voice shaking with anger.

"Leave us," father instructed Leon, handing him the parchment. "No one is to enter." Leon left the room, shutting the double doors behind him. "What are you talking about?"

"You were so desperate for an heir and for someone to marry off, you were prepared to use magic," Arthur said.

"Did Morgause tell you this? She's lying," father brushed it off, just like I knew he would.

"Our mother and our aunt are dead because of your selfishness and your arrogance," I spat. "Their blood is on your hands."

"No, that's not true, but Morgause would have you believe that," father insisted.

"This is what fuels your hatred for those who practice magic. Rather than blame yourself for what you did, you blame them!" I continued, my anger only rising.

"You would believe a sorcerer's lies over the word of your own father?" father asked. "I can only think that Morgause has enchanted you both."

"You have hunted her kind like animals! How many hundred have you condemned to death to ease your guilt?!" I yelled, taking a few steps forward.

"Those who practice magic will stop at nothing to destroy us. I have only done what is necessary to protect this kingdom," father said, slowly approaching us, and by the way Arthur's hand was tightened on the hilt of his sword I could see that that was going to be the wrong decision on my father's part.

"You speak of honour and nobility! You're nothing but a hypocrite and a liar!" Arthur spoke up.

"I am your king and your father. You will show me some respect!" father yelled back.

"And it's time you earned some!" I replied, gripping my fist together tightly.

I felt Arthur leave my side to approach father. When he was a few steps away from him, Arthur took off his gauntlet and chucked it on the ground at father's feet.

"Have you lost your mind?" father scoffed, looking down at the gauntlet in disbelief.

"Pick it up," Arthur ordered.

"Arthur, I implore you—think about what you're doing," father said.

"Pick it up," Arthur repeated in a shaking voice.

"I will not fight you," father told him.

Arthur looked over at me but my eyes were still fixated on the coward in front of me, my fists still clenched as I felt my eyes welling up in hot, angry tears, knowing that while he could get away with killing someone with magic, others were condemned to death for lighting a fire.