Bitter Taste of Defeat S2 E13

The bitter aftertaste of defeat had never tasted so cruel before. Because of our actions, Merlin and I had condemned an entire Kingdom to a brutal collapse. And even when we tried to make things right we failed yet again. Every citizen that had fallen because of Kilgharrah was on mine and Merlin's shoulders. It was our fault.

Guilt swirling in my stomach, I leant on Arthur's shoulder as we sat around an unlit fire that Merlin was working away on. Silence settled around us as I toyed with the unkempt sleeve of Arthur's shirt that had straggles of cotton falling out of it. As I tied them into small knots to stop them from irritating Arthur's skin, I felt him move over to the left to grab a stick before moving back.

I was about to ask him what it was he planned to do with that stick but he raised a finger to his lips, effectively telling me to not say anything.

"I always thought that silence would be a blessing with you two, but I find it just as irritating," Arthur commented. "You're a riddle, Merlin."

"A riddle?" Merlin repeated.

"Yes. But I've got to quite like you," Arthur admitted.

"Blessed be the gods. Someone mark the time and date," I muttered sarcastically.

"Only cause I now realise he's not as big a fool as he looks," Arthur said, pushing Merlin in the back with the stick, making me sit up from leaning on his shoulder and slap his arm.

"Yeah. I feel the same. Now that I realise you're not as arrogant as you sound," Merlin retorted, causing me to tilt my head in agreement.

"You still think I'm arrogant?" Arthur asked.

"No," Merlin shook his head.

"You?" Arthur said, turning to me.

"Have your moments," I shrugged.

"I'd say he's more supercilious," Merlin said, making us both look over at him. Don't get me wrong, Merlin was smart but never before had I heard him use a word like that.

"That's a big word, Merlin," Arthur commented, surprising me that he looked mildly impressed. "You sure you know what it means?"

"Condescending," Merlin answered, looking back to the fire.

"Very good," Arthur praised.

"Patronising," Merlin continued.

"Doesn't quite mean that," Arthur said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"No, these are other things that you are," Merlin told him, making me laugh again.

"Hang on," Arthur exclaimed.

"Overbearing," Merlin continued.

"Very overbearing," I added, making Merlin point at me and nod his head in agreement.

"Shh," Arthur shushed us, grabbing his sword from the ground.

"But you wanted us to talk," Merlin responded sarcastically.

Following Arthur's gaze into the bushes, I got to my feet and picked up my bow, grabbing onto an arrow and locking it into place on the bow. When Merlin noticed just how serious Arthur was and that I was also realising this, Merlin also got to his feet and came over to my side. I took my dagger off of my thigh strap and handed it over to Merlin who attempted to twirl it around in his hands only for it to almost fall to the ground and land in his foot.

Being careful to not step on any fallen twigs or crunching leaves, Merlin and I followed after Arthur, practically holding our breath to try and hear whatever it was Arthur had. Gesturing for us to lower down beside him, Merlin and I knelt down behind a fallen tree and peered into the thick layer of trees. But then a sound behind us grabbed our attention.