Gaius's Bedtime Stories S2 E12

Ever since Merlin had seen the vision in the crystal, I will have to admit, I have been on edge. Every loud bang sounds like the begin of a collapse, every flicker of a flame looks like the castle is burning down. I was paranoid, there was no denying it, not anymore. But I had good reason to be, did I not? I mean, it had practically been confirmed that what Merlin had seen in the crystal would come to pass. And there was nothing I nor he could do to stop it.

But almost like they knew I needed a distraction, a week passed by before a man requested an audience with father. Obviously, no one had any idea what this audience would be about so we were more than curious to find out what he wanted. As long as it had nothing to do with fire or castles, I was eager to know more. So that was how I found myself standing beside Arthur, having a staring contest with Merlin while we awaited the man's arrival. No one was paying us any attention as they gossiped among themselves, so Merlin and I were able to make our contest last long enough that Arthur, when he finally noticed, gave me a subtle elbow to the gut and a look as if to say, "pack it in".

Noticing this, Merlin gave us both a smile, earning one back from me but a glare from Arthur. We had all been so focused on each other that none of us had noticed the man had walked in, being led by none other than Leon and was standing in the middle of the room, a woven sack flung over his shoulder. The man introduced himself as Joseph, but that wasn't what anyone really cared about, if we're all being honest here. We wanted to know the drama.

"I'm a herder from the northern plains, Sire," Joseph told us. "Three nights ago, we'd camped by the walls of Idirsholas."

"Not sure I wouldn't chosen such a place," Father muttered sarcastically and as much as it pained me to admit it, I did agree with him. It has long since been abandoned, but it was rumoured to be the birthing ground of an evil curse, or at least that's what Gaius had used to tell me when I were younger.

"Good pasture is scares at this time of year, Sire," Joseph said.

"What is it you have to tell me?" Father interrupted.

"While we were there we... we saw smoke rising from the citadel," Joseph answered, making everyone who was present eyes widen.

Father looked over to Gaius, knowing that he would know if that was a sign of the legend of Midhir coming true. These damn prophecies.

"And did you see anything else?" the wizened physician asked.

"No," Joseph shook his head, looking over at Gaius.

"Did you go inside?" Father inquired.

"No," Joseph repeated. "Nobody has set foot in that threshold for over 300 years. You must know the legend, Sire."

Noticing the blank look on my father's face, though that was probably just his normal resting face, I decided to offer an explanation for the looks of confusion within the crowd, Merlin included.

"When the fires of Idirsholas burn, the Knights of Medhir will ride again," I explained to the crowd, but my eyes were focused on Joseph, who solemnly nodded, confirming that that was the correct legend.

Rising from his seat quite suddenly, Father looked over to Leon who had been standing on my left throughout the whole ordeal.

"See to it that this man is fed and has a bed for the night," Father ordered, to which Leon nodded and led Joseph out of the hall almost straight away. Only once he was gone did Father turn to Arthur. "Take a ride out there."

"Why?" Arthur asked.

"So we can put the people's minds at rest. Your sister announcing that legend didn't help to calm their fears," Father said, making me narrow my eyes at him.