Drinking in the Tavern S2 E9

After leaving Merlin in the streets I decided to go and find my brother and make some final arrangements for tonight. Truth be told, I had never been to a tavern before as it had always been forbidden to me thanks to my poor excuse of a father, something that Arthur was also aware of.

"There's no point in disguising you as anyone will recognise you beside me and also if Leon's there, people might notice," Arthur decided as we walked towards the dungeons so I could accompany him on his rounds. "That being said, it would probably be a good idea to not wear anything... princessy. Actually, what you're wearing now will be fine."

"You sound nervous," I commented, glancing over at him.

"You are mistaken. I'm just trying to make sure everything goes alright," Arthur countered, making me smile softly at him.

"Everything will be fine. I reckon, though, that we might even be able to convince Leon to have a singsong," I smiled, making Arthur laugh.

"You'd have to get him drunk first," Arthur said.

"Then that is what I shall do," I decided.

"Good luck with that. Leon is very careful when it comes to drinking," Arthur told me. "Never has more than two drinks."

"What about you?" I asked.

"What about me?" Arthur countered, checking that the dungeon door was properly shut.

"What's your limit? I presume you've been to the tavern before," I said.

"Err... I don't know. I find it varies but I've never had more than four. I manage to stop myself when I feel even the slightest bit squiffy," Arthur answered.

"Somehow I feel like that's not the entire truth," I smiled, looking over at Arthur, who plastered a look of fake shock on his face.

"How dare you? I have so much self-control it is unbelievable," Arthur defended.

"Unbelievable is the right word for that," I laughed, but stopped when I heard a familiar voice.

"I'm not!" Merlin's voice rung down the empty hallway, making Arthur and I quickly move towards the voice.

"I don't believe you!" another voice yelled.

And just as we reached the room where Merlin was, the trader, who's name I had learned to be Halig, was about to punch Merlin who he had held down in a chair by two guards.

"Halig!" Arthur warned him, making the man turn to face us. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We caught the boy behaving suspiciously, Sire," Halig answered, glaring at Merlin.

"Merlin?" Arthur said doubtfully.

"He could be harbouring the girl and he's going to tell us where," Halig said, raising his hand but Arthur grabbed it before he could do any damage.

"Leave him alone," I demanded, moving the guards aside and giving Merlin my hand to help him get away from them.

"Merlin is my servant. He has my absolute trust. If you have a problem with him, you come to me. Understand?" Arthur said, as I manoeuvred Merlin to the side of the room.

"Sire," Halig bowed his head before turning to me. "My lady." Along with the guards, Halig walked towards the exit. "Goodnight, Merlin. Don't forget your dinner."

I looked between them in confusion before noticing three sausages laying on the floor and from the look on Arthur's face, I presumed that they belonged to him.

"Thank you," Merlin replied nervously before looking back at us and following our gazes to the sausages. "Ah."

"Are those my sausages?" Arthur asked.