you don't deserve it

(TW⚠️⚠️ abuse)

Shoto tries to hide his limp as he walks into the common room in the dorms. His eyes focused on the ground. He didn't want anyone to see what his life was like at home.

Everyone at UA loved the boy, which was understandable. He had the looks, the brains, a flashy quirk, everything. Or so they thought. They didn't know how he would get pushed to his limits every time he went home. They didn't know that his father, the "number 1 hero" could be so harsh on his son. Most importantly, they didn't know what went on in his brain.

To say Shoto was innocent is an understatement. There were many normal things he didn't get to experience in his mess of a childhood. He grew up alone, without anyone his age to talk to. The only thing he had close to a friend was his older brother, Touya. And he ended up leaving him too. Nobody had ever been really nice to him until he came to UA. Shoto didn't know why he hated what he saw in the mirror every morning. He didn't understand why people thought he was so "perfect".

"Todoroki-kun!"

Shoto flinched.

"Todoroki-kun? Are you okay?" Asked Uraraka.

Shoto stayed silent as he tried to hide his face from his friend. She doesn't need to know, to get worried. She doesn't deserve it. He thought.

Of course Uraraka was worried about her friend. She was a hero in training for God's sake! She knew something was up when he didn't respond. Yes, Todoroki was one of the quietest kids in class, but he was also one of the most respectful. He wouldn't ignore her for no reason.

Carefully, not wanting to make him uncomfortable, the girl moved infront of her silent classmate. Her eyes widened at his red, tired eyes, and the the large bruise covering half of his face. The side without his scar. Now that she was looking closer, she also noticed the wrinkles on his uniform. Something that was never seen from the neat boy.

"Todoroki, what..? You need to go to recovery girl-"

"No!"

She stepped back, startled by the frightened tone of her calm classmate.

"Okay.. well at least let me patch you up."

At that moment, the door opened as the deku and Bakusquad walked in. They were just returning to the dorms from the long weekend, and happened to show up at the same time. They were more than shocked to see one of their strongest classmates with red eyes and injuries.

Everyone rushed over to todoroki, immediately asking questions that the boy did not want to answer.

"What the fuck icyhot?!"

"What happened Todoroki-kun?!"

"Are you okay todobro?"

No. No he wasn't. And the screaming wasn't helping. Shoto was scared. Scared of what they would say if they found out. Scared of his father being mad. Scared of being a bother.

Todoroki closed his eyes tightly and put his hands on his ears in a desperate attempt to stop the panic attack that he knew was coming. It seemed to work as the noise died down, but no, he was still panicking. His classmates noticed and tried to calm him down, but were disappointed when they were met with more labored breathing. The Bakusquad decided to leave for a while to avoid overwhelming todoroki more. Soon, iida was able to calm him down by running through some breathing exercises. Todoroki seemed to be out of it as he didn't protest as they took off his school uniform to reveal the bruises underneath. They worked in silence, bandaging up anywhere that was bleeding and applying cream to the bruises. The noticed old scars on his torso that they had never paid attention to before. Although it would be different now, as it was obvious that someone was hurting Shoto.

Once they were done, the Bakusquad came back in along with some more of their classmates who'd just returned. They all looked at each other knowingly. Something was up. So they spent that whole night talking to Shoto, trying to understand what had happened. He told them about his dad, and the training he was forced to do growing up. Fighting, sparring, whatever you'd call it. But everyone silently agreed that it was abuse.

"Todoroki," Momo started, "that's not normal. You shouldn't be getting hurt in a place that was supposed to be your home."

"I'm gonna kill that old bastard." Said bakugou, surprisingly calm.

"It's not.. normal?"

"What? No! Of course it's not! That's abuse todoroki!"

"..Really?"

The room was silent for a few moments after that. The atmosphere was thick, almost suffocating. They didn't want to believe that it had gotten this bad for their friend, to the point where he thought getting hurt was normal.

"..."

"..I'm telling Mr. Azawa."

Todoroki just sat there, trying to comprehend that he didn't deserve what was forced upon him. That he didn't have to follow those rules. That he could choose.

That night, todoroki was called to Aizawa's office. When he returned, he had a look of awe on his face, as if he'd just discovered the most incredible thing. And maybe he had, freedom. The class had a movie night. They ate, laughed, and just hung out together, like normal kids do. Like they should. It was the best night of shoto's life.