Chapter Twelve: Tryouts P1

Ella's POV

Are you sure about this?" Ella asked as she ran down the hallway after her brother.

"Well, no, but I'm feeling confident and I'd like to participate in some school activities," Jackson replied.

"But you've never sang before."

Jackson took a breath. "Today's the day."

     Ella sighed as she followed her brother to the theater room they were trying out in. She really wanted this, but if her brother wanted it too, she would try her best to be supportive.

     As they walked in they were greeted with about 20 other students standing around or sitting in chairs. In the middle of it all was a teacher with circular glasses and ruffled cropped brown hair.

"Welcome to the tryouts for this year's musical: the Ballad of Bo and Ro," he said. "I am Mr. Dewal, you may call me Mr. D."

Jackson raised a hand. "I think I've heard of that before. What is it from?"

"Ah. A Foster-Sencen. I believe your father wrote the Ballad of Bo and Ro. I'm sure that's why it seems so familiar to you."

Ella felt annoyed by the attention he was getting. "How are we able to do what he wrote?"

"Another one! Well, I am told he published this book and it was immediately out of stock. It became very popular as a humorous book," Mr. Dewal replied.

After a few more questions, Mr. D explained how he was going to do tryouts. One student would go in at a time and sing a bit of anything for him, and then would be given a small script to act out. This way whoever was selected would be able to do whatever Mr. D arranged.

Soon Ella was called into the room.

"Hello! Alright, I'd like for you to sing a bit for me, and then we'll get to the acting portion."

Ella decided on a human song called 'The Bones' (comment right here if you know it).

She sang:

We're in the home stretch
Of the hard time
We took a hard left
But we're alright

Life sure can try
To put love through through it but
     We built this right so
     Nothing's ever gonna move it

When the bones are good
The rest don't matter
The pain could peel
The glass could shatter

(I know it's a weird place to stop but Mr. D's got probably 10 other students he needs to try out).

Mr. D had an emotionless expression. Ella couldn't decide whether it was because he was speechless or because he didn't want to let her know how awful she sounded.

"Okay. Now onto the acting!"

Soon it was all over with, and since Ella was called out of the main room to try out she walked back into the main one.

"How did you do?" Jackson asked as she kneeled beside him.

"I think I did alright," Ella responded.

"I've heard you singing around the house. You're pretty amazing."

"Well I think you're great too. And I hope you're ready because Mr. D just called you!" Ella said.

"Be right back!" Jackson smiled.

Ella couldn't wait for the results.

Well...it seems my chapters are getting shorter and shorter as I continue on. For that I am truly sorry, but I hope this was some good content for a chapter! I think this will make for a very interesting part of the book! Thanks for reading everyone and shoutout to bunnies2020 who I thank for reading and commenting on both of my books!

Word count: 579

~*~HunkyHairDontCare~*~