Chapter Thirty-six: Housemates

The hours seemed to drone as (y/n) wandered, no destination in mind. She was getting acquainted with her new habitat. Perhaps it was best to do so, especially since she had nothing else to do. She listened to her own footsteps as she walked. A smell caught her attention. It smelled very good. She followed the smell to a doorway. Light spilled from the doorway into the dark hall that the cold bodied woman had been walking down. Warmth radiated from that room. She heard the sounds of sizzling and bubbling. Tapping of metal on metal. Her floral pink and iceberg blue eyes peeked into the doorway. It was a large kitchen that was lavishly furnished with the best and most modern appliances. Clean refrigerators, shining countertops, glistening pots and pans, large ovens and an expansive stovetop.
Heat poured from the room as the icy woman looked in, movement caught her eye and she looked to see one of the twins cooking. Mei was preparing dinner by washing and chopping vegetables. His rhythmic chopping with the shining and sharp blade was masterful. It was hypnotic to watch Mei work. But, Ido was nowhere to be found. The pale skinned young woman looked around the kitchen, looking for Ido. She did not see him from where she stood in the door. However, she felt a warmth of a human near her. Looking behind her, she came face to face with the wine eyes of the maid dress wearing man.

"What are you doing here?," Ido asked as he carried bags of ingredients into the kitchen after the young woman stepped aside.
Mei looked up from his chopping to see his brother and the audience he had, he went back to working but with a more annoyed expression.
"Curious. Just wandering around.," the young woman answered honestly with a dull tone.
The young woman began to turn and walk away before she was stopped by Ido's voice, "You cannot eat food that is above a certain temperature, correct?"
"That is correct.," the young woman spoke, "If I do, my core temperature will rise."
The wine haired man nodded and went back to work. Neither Ido nor Mei acknowledged her after that, but she could tell Mei was fully aware of her being there, he had positioned himself to keep (y/n) in the corner of his eye as he worked. The blue and pink haired young woman continued down the dark hallway that she wandered into. Mindlessly, she wandered further and further into the large building. She had no idea where she was or what the rooms were for.
The walls and carpets had changed drastically, instead of being a cozy home style, it was sterile, cold, empty. (Y/n) had a feeling that was not supposed to be down that way and turned back. There was something in the back of her mind telling her that it was dangerous there, that she had been there before and needed to get away quickly. Turning back, she walked back down the hall to the light of the kitchen. Her eyes looked back into the kitchen to see Ido and Mei still at work. The twins were skilled with their cooking techniques as much as their fighting techniques. It was beautiful in the way they moved.

(Y/n) hid in the doorway and watched them work. Smooth rhythmic movements and skillful techniques drew in her attention to them. She felt a bit of pain from being so close to heat, yet it was not as painful as before. The icy woman was still scared of the two, yet her fear was pushed back a little by the pure elegance of their techniques. She could almost forget that they were hired hit men and killers with a high body count. A feeling in her chest reminded her of something she felt a long time ago and what she had been feeling at Nanba prison. The thought if that feeling was pushed aside as she continued to watch the twins. She saw Mei turn to her, his movement caught by Ido and both looked at her.
"If you are going to be there, at least be somewhat useful.," Mei said in a sharp tone, "Chill that bowl of water over there so I can blanch this."
The icy woman stepped into the hot kitchen and walked to the bowl that Mei motioned to. She felt the water was warmer than needed and touched the side of the bowl, the water cooled to almost freezing after she touched the bowl. Mei had her move aside and he dropped the vegetables he had been cooking in the water. (Y/n) was looking at the water as Mei went back to work. The vegetables looked beautiful. Perfectly cooked and vibrant in their colors.
"Yuki, blanch these for me once they are finished cooking.," Ido spoke to her.
The young woman got another bowl and filled it with water that she chilled with her power. She did not argue with them using her nickname. It felt a bit dangerous to argue with them about that.