4.

Ichiro pov.

When I woke up, my whole body hurt. Damn, he can really hit good. But what was that again? "Finally. When I get there I'll definitely have a race right away" I immediately widen my eyes. Immediately I look in my bag for the jacket with the S logo on it, but it was nowhere to be found "damn it" I quickly want to get up but collapse again. After a few tries I get up and go home with my skateboard. "I can't let him race. He's still too inexperienced" I quickly called Reki but didn't tell him what happened because he would just get upset and worry about me. So I mean I got home okay, but I'm calling so late because I got to studying right away, but to be honest I don't think I'll even get to study today. I can't let Kitagawa-kun participate in a beef. He's good, but he's not good enough to participate in a Beef yet. I wouldn't have hidden the fact that "S" exists from him otherwise. It is still too dangerous for him to participate. In pain, I get up and go to the box I was rummaging through yesterday. I take out the coat I often wore back then. Oh, man, back then I was proud to wear it. That it never bothered me while skating. Smiling I turn it, looking for the "S" sign. As soon as I see it I stop, stand up, before I go to my desk and take a pair of scissors from the drawer. I then cut the stitches that attach the sign to the coat. Sighing, I put the coat away again as I look at the sign. "Am I going to have to participate in another Beef?" If he really finds someone to skate against, they certainly won't turn down the offer. Everyone there is into competing. Since it was already dark I get up, take my skateboard and leave the house. Today I really don't have a good day. I get on my skateboard before I take the fastest way to the mine. In between I couldn't resist doing a few tricks, skating is just too much fun.

When I arrived, I showed the sign and then went in before looking for Kitagawa-kun, who is probably wearing my jacket now. I hope I find him before he does anything stupid, unfortunately it may take me a while to find him, after all the compound isn't exactly small. If you're wondering right now why I'm even doing this? It's simple. If he gets hurt I am theoretically partly to blame, since he got the sign from me after all. That's exactly why I can't let it happen. I don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt because of me ever again. Worried, I look around. Then I hear loud enthusiastic shouts. He won't really "The rookie doesn't stand a chance" I quickly make my way to the shouts. As I make my way through the crowd I catch sight of Kitagawa-kun and run to him "Finally I found you" he just looks at me in shock. I was able to cover most of the bruises with my little sister's makeup and the others I put band-aids over. "Please tell me you didn't agree to a beef" I immediately say seriously and shake him once as he just looks away. "Yes I did. I already told you this afternoon that I would do it" he says after some time and looks at me penetratingly. This must be a bad joke now "Are you completely nuts?! You're nowhere near good enough to participate in a Beef, why do you think I always denied it when you asked me if there was any of this" I angrily let go of his shoulders and grab him by the collar "You're not going to participate in a Beef" I say dead serious. Shocked at my reaction Kitagawa widens his eyes. "You didn't" he started, but I interrupted him "Yes, I did, after all the jacket with the sign you're wearing is mine" he immediately fell silent. "If that's the case, you won't be able to get out of it. I've long wanted to fight the boy who avoids beefs but is still famous for his style." That voice. He didn't really. I turn around and see...

"Joe," I muttered

"Joe," I muttered. He can't be serious. My gaze turned to Kitagawa-kun who was only looking at the floor. Apparently he had realized his mistake, besides, my gaze was almost deadly right now. I breathed in and out deeply. I had written to them that I would be there tomorrow, but I had hoped to be able to avoid the meeting for a while. I eyed him. He has actually managed to get more muscle in the last four years. Joe also looks at me with his honey red eyes. He now has neck-length, but still messy green hair that he has tied back into a ponytail. He has a large black round tattoo on his left arm. The board he's holding is a standard popsicle streetboard with a forked end, four alternating green and orange wheels on each side, and a cardboard brown deck. So same old part as back in the day. In short he has actually changed very little. Kinda glad to hear that "so you're going to have a beef with me?" do I have a choice? If I don't do it he'll probably ask Kitagawa to go through with it" sighing I look at him. "If I have to" his eyes widen briefly, causing me to look at him in confusion. "What's wrong?" smiling he looks at me "You just sounded like an old friend of mine" Crap! "Oh yeah? Must have been a pretty annoyed friend then" I mutter, to which a laugh comes from him. "Let's get it over with" on the outside I still seemed annoyed but on the inside my heart was racing. Somehow, for the first time in a long time, I was happy at the thought of a beef. We went to the starting line, where I got ready before waiting for the signal to be given. "For avoiding beefs, you seem very experienced. Your stance doesn't seem like that of a beginner or mediocre skater. It's more like you're a pro" "Thanks for the compliments, but I'm sorry to say that I've never liked that" I say and continue to look ahead. Apparently he took the whole thing seriously now because he also gets ready and looks at the traffic light. When it turned green we started at the same time and picked up high speed. Of course Joe was in front and grins arrogantly. I have to hold back otherwise he actually recognizes me. If that doesn't happen already. But the longer I try to hold back the harder it gets "See you later at the finish" I hear a shout. Then it was over "Fuck you, as if I would lose to you" I pick up high speed and catch up to Joe