Forty

Kathryn

What do I even do? How do I move past this? What lie could possibly make this situation any better? I let out a breath as I glance towards Casey. Her eyes remained on the table. I could tell she also didn't know what to do. I bite on my lip as I look at Rai. He held a wicked smirk as he eyed us. At this point, it was his victory.

"C'mon Casey" I mutter through my teeth. Rai eyes me, furrowing his brows. "Let's go eat" I sigh, pulling her back to reality. She eyes me, her brown eyes filled with worry and guilt and regret. But what did she have to regret? I know I didn't regret anything. If I were to get caught, then so be it. 

"Kathryn we can't just--" I cut her off when my lips meet hers. I could feel the eyes of several family members and Rai. But I didn't care. I pull away from the girl with a soft smile. "Let's go eat, I'm starving" I whisper before pecking her lips again. We grab our plates and head outside. We pass by Josh who was smiling proudly at me.

Once Casey and I got outside and sat at the patio table, she spoke. "Are you just going to let him get away with that?" I shrug my shoulders as I stuff my mouth with mashed potatoes. Casey however, was stuck at that moment. "Kathryn, he could ruin your career. I helped ruin your career."

I glance at my lover and swallow my food. I wipe the corner of my mouth before speaking. "Casey, I just. I don't care. I got to meet an incredible girl who I like a lot. If the truth comes out, then it does. Now stop worrying and eat, I know you're hungry too," I laugh as I stuff my face. I could tell Casey was trying to move past it as she ate.

I could tell it by her face. She was pained. And though I was hiding it, I was scared. I was really scared. She was right, I could lose my job. My career could end here. But at the same time, I was so happy. In the months that I'd come to known Casey has been the most eventful. Our relationship was never great until now but I didn't regret any of it. 

I didn't regret meeting her. I didn't regret having feelings for her. I didn't regret initiating our relationship. And I didn't regret loving her. Brown eyes meet mine, soaking in the rays of the sun. Covered by angst and fear but nevertheless any stunning. Her eyes doused me in warmth and love. I smile at the girl forcing her eyes to move to my lips. 

Casey was barely any good at masking her emotions. Even when we were in school, I could always know what she was feeling. She never wore her heart on her sleeve, but she was an open book. 

"Casey I love you" I spit. Brown eyes slowly glide past my lips and to my eyes. I smile as I watch the nervousness on her face. "I--"

"I'm not forcing you to say it. I just want you to know that I love you. I really do" I mutter. I move my chair closer to her and place my lips against her cheek. "No matter what happens, I need you to know that I love you."

The brown-skinned girl blushes, "The more you say it the harder my heart beats for you."

I place my hand against her chest, feeling her heart hammer against her chest. My smile widens, "I love you Casey Kings" I mutter once more before bringing her lips to my own. 

"Whoa, you love birds are doing more kissing than eating" I hear. Casey and I pull away spotting my brother and Sarah. They take a seat across from us with a wide smile. My eyes land on Sarah. I knew Rai was her brother, but how was she so comfortable to be around us after everything that's happened?

Sarah pulls her brown curls into a messy bun before glancing at her husband. "I've never really liked Rai, if I'm being honest." My brows raise at her sudden revelation.