Forty-three

Kathryn

It was the new year. And the school building was filled with teens reconnecting with their friends they hadn't seen since December. I shake my head as I continuously hear, "New Year, New Me" from several teenagers. I knew for a fact that the year would be the same for them as it has been for their entire life. 

I was excited to get back to work. But there was one thing that had been bothering me since Christmas. I eerily made it to the office, to sign in. Though no one was watching me, it felt as though a hundred eyes were piercing my skin. I was nervous, to say the least. My job and relationship were at stake. 

I enter the office, spotting Emily talking with the receptionist. "Oh, speak of the devil! Good Morning Ms. Howard" Mrs. Bundy smiles. 

I offer a kind smile, "Good morning Mrs. Bundy, how was your break?" I decide small talk is good. I didn't want to seem suspicious. "Oh it was great, my husband and I went to a resort with the kids. How about you? Did you and Mrs. Evans have a nice break?"

I nod my head, remembering that I luckily got to spend my break with Casey. "Yes, it was amazing." Emily and I finish our business before exiting the office. The woman lets out a breath and cracks her neck. "I'm already tired and the bay has barely even begun. Is it too late to quit?" she questions sleepily.

I chuckle and nod my head. "We've only got 5 more months of this hell and then we're free for 2 months unless you're teaching summer school."

She shakes her head, thankful she doesn't have to. "You might have to though since Rai was fired. Unless Mr. Peters and Ms. Lewis decide to stay."

I nod my head. She was right. Though Ms. Lewis wasn't a senior history teacher, she had her degree for teaching up to 12th grade. I was hoping silently she would want to work for summer school, which of course meant extra pay. I, however, didn't want the extra pay. Especially when I would have only 1 month and a half to spend time with my girlfriend before she leaves me.

I still didn't know what college she was going to. I shake my head, graduation was a while away, I didn't need to think about that. I make it to my room without spotting Casey, which sort of puts me in a bad mood. I play with the ring on my finger with a small smile. I was lucky.

- - - - -

I groan as I stand from my desk and head towards my door. I hadn't seen Casey at all these last few periods. And I know I said we should keep it under the radar, but I was missing her like crazy. After New Years she went home and I stayed in Utah to spend more time with my family. Or in other words, I haven't seen her for 6 days. 

I open my door just as the bell rings. I exit my room and head towards Emily with a smile. I stop beside her, spooking her a bit. I show off my smile and she rolls her eyes. "Oh, don't act like that smile is for me. You're only over here because you want to see Casey."

I smile bigger causing her to chuckle. "Asshole" she hisses. 

Time continues to go by and eventually we see Jasmine come around the corner, but not Casey. I furrow my brows, maybe she was going to be late to class. However the moment Jasmine got to us, I pulled her to the side. "Where's Casey?" I question.

Her hazel eyes meet mine. "Casey didn't text you?" she groans rolling her eyes. My brows knit together in confusion. She lets out a breath, "Casey got sick so she's at home. We told her to text you before she went back to sleep, but it seems like she didn't."

I let out a breath as well. "Thanks, Jasmine," I say letting her go to her class. Emily pats my back. "It's fine honey. You don't have class until 6th period, I'm sure going to check on her is fine."