Fourteen

Casey

They say nothing feels better than skipping work/school on a Monday. How absolutely right they are. I usually didn't like skipping school because it affected my attendance, but I couldn't go to school. 

So instead I decided to take Jasmine out. I would call it a date, but I just simply do not do dates. So here I was parked outside the school building. Pretty stupid, because I could possibly get caught trying to skip. But Jasmine's father was pretty strict and had to make sure she arrived at school.

So here I was sitting on the hood of my car, staring at all the arriving students and teachers. One in particular catches my attention. I watch her exit her car, her lower body grabbing my attention immediately. My eyes roam over her slender figure.

She was a sight to see. I watch as she grabs her purse from the backseat of her car. She walks to the back of her car, opening the trunk. The brunette bends over, picking up the box, which seems heavier than expected.

She attempts to close her trunk, to no avail as the box topples over and the paperwork inside spills out the box and onto the ground. I sigh and lift up from my car and approach the struggling woman. "And here I was thinking teachers could do anything" I joke as I bend down to help her retrieve her papers.

Kathryn glances at me but remains silent. Stingy much. I stay silent as well as we play the papers back into the box. I reach for a packet that was closer to us just as she did. And cliché enough, our hands grazed each other. Kathryn pulls her hand back immediately just as I feel an icy electrifying sting in the tips of my fingers.

"Thank you" Kathryn whispers as the last of the paperwork is placed into the box. "No problem, you sure you can make it to your classroom with this?" I question as she closes her trunk.

Kathryn doesn't answer. Rolling my eyes, I grab the box and stand. How can papers be so heavy? "What are you teaching your students that you need all of this for?" I question as we begin making way to her room. I internally pray that no other teacher or authority figure spots me.

"You do know I have 5 class periods right? There are about 30 students in each, well with the exception of 2nd and 7th period, those classes have about 40."

I guess she has a point. "We have a monthly test coming up and I'll be grading them on what they've learned on the units I have taught. These are there study packets."

"Are you gonna go through them?"

"If necessary, yes. But my tests are usually easier than anything."

"I bet, you're not even an AP teacher. You're teaching the regular students who only use their two brain cells to barely understand. And History nonetheless, one of the most boring subjects in school."

Kathryn eyes me sideways as we enter her classroom. I shrug my shoulders, "I'm just saying. Who the hell cares about learning history?"

"People who want to know what not to do to create a better society."

I shrug my shoulders, "Fair point. But it doesn't take history, for someone to realize that everyone deserves rights. My parents never taught me to be racist or not to be racist. I know that people are people we all bleed the same blood we're all from the same God. It's just idiots like Donald Trump and the white supremacist who like to have all the power."

"Well maybe, that's true but some people need to know what African-Americans have faced since they've been in America. Or what horrible things USA has done to those around the world. Some people don't even know that 9/11 was an inside job."