Eleven

Casey

In the months I had known Kathryn Howard, never had I thought she was capable of expressing such sadness.

True, she'd have her down moments but I'd never seen her full on cry. So of course, when I see her crying, it breaks my heart. I step closer to the brunette in front of me, wiping her tears.

I'm surprised when she pulls me into her and cries on my shoulder. Stuck in disbelief, I feel her hands wrap around my neck, pulling me closer as if she didn't want me to go. In return, my arms wrap around her waist, pulling her even closer. We stood here in silence for a while before the woman finally calms down.

I pull away from the woman in confusion. "Kathryn" I mutter.

I didn't like seeing her like this. "Hey" I speak up, pushing her back slightly, so I can look at her. Her pretty brown eyes land on me before she looks away with guilt in her eyes. I wipe a stray tear with a smile, "I know what will cheer you up."

Once again her eyes land on me in question. "Halloween! Of course going to a Halloween party together in town would raise suspicion, so maybe we can go to one out of town" I spit.

What am I thinking? I was supposed to go with Alice and Juliet to a party for Halloween. Kathryn wipes her tears, "Really?" she questions. I nod my head, "We can dress up and be whatever you want" I add. Kathryn finally smiles, which causes me to smile. Can someone truly be this beautiful? The sadness in her eyes were gone.

"What were you about to do before I got here?" she questions causing me to blush. I scratch the back of my neck, glancing away from the brunette. I could lie. But I could also tell the truth.

"I was about to go meet up with a friend" I say honestly. Lying wouldn't get our friendship anywhere. I wanted to be someone she could rely on. Someone who would be her shoulder to lean on whenever she needed.

She pulls away from me with a frown. "Oh" she mutters. "Uh, well have fun, with your friend." She turns away from me and walks towards her apartment. I watch the woman, feeling regret and guilt settle into my chest. I didn't want to leave her alone tonight, not after seeing her breakdown like that.

I watch as Kathryn Howard disappears into her apartment. Sighing, I walk to the elevator and pull out my phone. I dial the recent call. "You're here already?" Alice questions happily.

"I'm going to have to reschedule" I cringe. I was rescheduling my fuck appointment for a teacher that I wasn't all too sure I even liked on that kind of level. "Are you fucking serious Casey? I haven't seen you in nearly 3 weeks. I'm fucking horny" the blonde hisses into my ear.

"I know, I know Alice. Just let me reschedule and while I'm at it, you may hate me for this but... about Halloween..."

I knew the woman on the other line was angry. I could practically hear her fuming. The line went silent. Did she hang up? I pull the phone from my ear surprised to see that I was no longer on the call. Oh well.

- - - - -

I knock on the door similar to mine and wait. After seconds it opens, exposing Kathryn Howard in just a long t-shirt and boxers. Her eyes widen as she stares back at me in shock. "Uh, C-Casey? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be out?" she questions.

"I figured you would be up for Chinese" I state holding the bag of Chinese take out up. A smile breaks out on her rosy lips as she steps aside letting me in. I sit on her couch and place the bag onto the coffee table. "I didn't know what you liked so I got a little of everything."

Kathryn takes a seat rather close to me, "As long as it's edible, I don't think I would've mind. Thanks, I really needed this" she smiles towards me. I chuckle and nudge her shoulder lightly before setting the food up. I really out did it this time. I've never bought this much food for one person that I didn't see sexually. Well maybe minus Edwin.

Kathryn turned on the TV to some random channel as we began devouring the food in front of us.

"Oh my gosh, have you ever had this?" Kathryn questions as she takes a bite of the pot sticker I ordered. I smile and shake my head. I got some of these things because I had no idea what she liked. She grabbed a pot sticker with her fork and shoved it into my mouth. I bit into the mysterious food and immediately fell in love. Wiping my mouth I glance at the brunette, "It's really delicious!"

She smiles and nods her head. Silence falls in between us once again as we watch Keeping up with the Kardashians. Kylie is my favorite, being that she was one of my celebrity crushes. I still had no idea what the purpose of this TV show was.

"Hey."

I glance over to Kathryn with a raised brows as I shove shrimp fried rice into my mouth. "Uh, I like the time we spend together even though our relationship is awkward, being that I'm a teacher... but if it's okay with you can we have a Chinese dinner date at least once a month?"

I stare at the beauty in confusion. Chinese Date?

My silence grabs her attention away from the television. "Not like a actual date, I mean just we get together once a month and have Chinese and like talk."

Swallowing my food I show her my toothy grin, "Of course we can do that. And if it makes anything better, outside of school I don't really see you as a teacher, just as my really beautiful neighbor."

Her smile never falters. She sets her bowl down and scoots closer to me, her eyes never leaving mine. "Uh, Casey" she sighs setting my bowl aside as well. She takes my hand in hers allowing me that feeling of warmth and electricity. She leans into me, taking me by surprise.

Our lips almost touch when the most annoying sound is heard.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

Kathryn quickly pulls away, her eyes wide.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

Kathryn doesn't move from the couch for a second, gathering her thoughts. I eye her in curiosity. Her eyes land on me cautiously before she removes herself from the couch. I watch her walk over to the door, taking longer to open it. As if she didn't want to be disturbed. After a second or so, she lets out a breath and opens the door.

"Thomas?" she questions. I look away from her, remembering that she was in fact in a relationship. My fingers press against my lips. Did we almost kiss? "I have company" I hear causing me to turn. My heart hammers against rib cage as I hear footsteps approach the couch. I almost kissed her. I stand from my spot and turn to leave.

My eyes meet his. Suddenly I'm angry at the fact that he gets to be with her. She deserves nothing but the best. And from the time I had known Kathryn, she's been telling me about all the doubt she has. Kathryn doesn't deserve doubt. She deserves truth and loyalty. She deserves love. I clench my fist as I eye Kathryn behind him but she averts her gaze.

The feeling of hurt and guilt washes over me. I close my eyes tightly and let out a breath before walking around the couple. "Thanks for having me over Kathryn" I mutter as I pass her. I don't wait for her to say anything as I leave the apartment. Once her door closes behind me, I lean against it and slide down to the floor.

What was going on in my life? I could hear the two talking, which only hurt me a little more. But I couldn't force myself to move. The sound of Kathryn's voice put me at ease as she spoke with her boyfriend.

Why did I even care? I didn't like catching feelings or being in relationships that went further than sex. I don't even like Kathryn. I bite on my bottom lip and stand. I didn't like her. I can't.