Twenty-one

Kathryn

Usually, people spend their weekends winding down and relaxing. Me? Oh, just listening to my neighbor argue with her mother. I frown as I turn my TV up once again, exceeding a high volume. As much as I liked hearing Casey's voice the words she spat out in this instance only angered me. 

I bite my lip, realizing that turning up my volume wasn't going to cut it at this point. I let out a breath as I try to ignore everything that's going on. I'm sure our other neighbors are just as annoyed as I was.

"You know I'm trying to be respectful because you're my mom, but honestly you're pissing me off" Casey's voice booms. I jump as I hear a door slam. Did she leave? "Casey can't you see I just want what's best for you?" her mother's fragile voice is heard. Her comment causes me to scoff. If she wanted what was best for Casey, she'd just let her be who she was.

The sudden ringing of my phone grabs my attention. I pick it up from the coffee table and notice the call from Thomas. I sigh and ignore. However, he doesn't take the hint. He calls again. And once again, I hang up. I should block his number.

The third time he calls, I answer in annoyance. "What do you want Thomas?" I groan.

"A second chance. I'm downstairs, won't you come down and talk to me?" I frown at his cheesy attempt. Didn't he get it? I was done. "Thomas, I meant what I said. I don't want to see you and quite frankly, I don't want to talk to you."

"Kathryn, you're just going to throw away 5 years? I thought we were going to get married. Please can we just talk this out, I need closure."

Closure? Was this man serious. "Thomas, there's nothing to really talk about."

"There is. You can tell me why you want to end us. Why have you been so distant with me. I deserve that much and you know I do."

I groan in annoyance. The only other sound I can hear besides him, was the arguing duo next door. It was them or him. I'd take my chances. I let out a deep sigh as I stand from my couch. "Fine. Fine. You get two hours. I'm not letting you take up the rest of my day."

I hang up and head into my room. I hope I don't regret this. 

- - - - -

The ride was silent. I had no idea where Thomas was taking me. Honestly, I was a little scared. He probably had plans on doing things and killing me. I watch my surroundings as we turn onto a road with mostly greenery that civilization. The man beside me chuckles, "You can relax. I'm surprised you don't know where we're going yet."

I try to relax as we get further away from civilization. Stay calm Kathryn. Stay calm Kathy. It's fine. He might be my ex, but he's not stupid. At least not when it comes to things like this. 

Finally he turns onto a street that I'm familiar with. We're going down memory lane. I sit back into the leather seats as familiarity sets in. I now know where we're going. I glance over to the dark skinned man on side of me in awe. I can't believe he remembers this. 

A few minutes later we're parked on a familiar cliff. I exit the car with a smile. I walk towards the edge and glance over, overlooking the city. It never ceases to amaze me. Thomas tugs on my waist, pulling me away from the edge. Just like he did the first time we'd discover this place. I come to my sense and push the man away from me. 

"Just cause you remember this place, doesn't mean all is well between us."

The man sighs. He sits onto the hood of his car and eyes me. "What happened between us Kathy? We used to be so good."