Fifteen

Casey

"You're a disappointment! I wish I never had you as a daughter. A filthy dyke is all you are. God should punish you when you die!"

I blink from my stupor as the sound of the bell alerts me back into reality. My eyes land on the worried sight of Jasmine before she exits the room. I gather my things and follow behind her. Luckily, she doesn't get too far away, allowing me to grab her. "Hey, can we talk?" I question, hoping she'd say yes.

"There's nothing to talk about Casey. I've told you what needed to be said on Monday and I meant everything."

My grip on her wrist loosens but not enough to let her walk away from me. "Jasmine you can't be upset because I don't like you. You knew my intentions the moment we started that relationship, not to mention Duke tells you every time I'm not a relationship person. You had warnings and red flags and you decided to ignore them, do not place the blame on me."

The brunette turns towards me. She scoffs and rolls her eyes before speaking up. "You say you're not a relationship person and that you would never like anyone but I'm not stupid. I see the way you look at her, I see that spark in your eyes when you so much as talk to her. Why her of all people? Why not me?"

I shake my head in confusion. "Jasmine what the hell are you talking about?"

"I know you like Ms. Howard" she spits. Her eyes trail behind me and I watch a flash of jealousy in her eyes. I glance back spotting a very shocked Kathryn Howard. She eyes me before clearing her throat and walking away. Fuck, I think she heard that. 

"I don't like Ms. Howard. Just because I enjoy her company doesn't mean I have any romantic feelings for her."

Jasmine finally snatches herself from my grip. She doesn't say another word as she leaves me in the hallway. I sigh and rub my forehead before turning on my heel and heading towards the restroom. 

This just wasn't my week. 

The vibrations from my phone, gathers my attention from my reflection in the mirror. I reach in my back pocket and answer the phone immediately after noticing the caller ID. "Shouldn't you be in class?" I question with a small smile.

"I could say the same thing about you" my sister replies. I turn away from the mirror and lean onto the sink for support. I had a feeling I knew what she had called for. It was the one thing that's been on my mind since Monday. "Mom's coming to visit. She told me she sent you a package Monday."

"Yeah, I got it. Uh, is dad okay with this? With her coming here?" 

"Hell no. But you know mom's stubborn, she doesn't take no for an answer. I guess you already knew this call was coming, huh?"

I nod my head, knowing she couldn't see. I had been waiting since Monday night to receive a call either from her or my dad. I guess you could say my mom and I don't have a perfect relationship. I stare at the white tile wall across from me. "Cassie, I don't want to see her" I say with a shaky breath. 

"I know. Dad and I already spoke, he said you could come stay with him for a few days until she leaves. Or he could hire you a bodyguard, your pick."

I feel my eyes water as I think about encountering my mother. "You would think that now that I'm eighteen and live more than 500 miles away from her, she wouldn't have such a strong affect on me. Here I am freaking out in school because my mom is coming to visit... I'm such a pussy."

Cassandra doesn't speak for a few seconds. And soon those seconds turn into a minute. Silence settles in around me. I let out yet another shaky breath, when a familiar figure enters the restroom. Quickly I wipe my eyes and stand up straight. "Hey, I'll call you back later, I need to get home."