Seventy

Kathryn

I've been here for an hour and a half and still, Casey hadn't shown her face. I wondered if I was being too paranoid or if it was okay that I had been worrying this much about my girlfriend. I grit my teeth as I watch the door of the gymnasium. 

When I arrived and hadn't spotted Casey with Desire or her friends, immediately worry settled in my heart. I asked and the answer I received was along the lines of 'She told me she couldn't pick me up, so I don't know where she is.'

And I knew she was telling the truth but I wanted something more that could settle this aching in my chest. "This is probably the best proms I have been to since I've worked here" Mr. Andrews smiles as he sips on his non-alcoholic beverage. I turn my head in his direction, just in time to spot two teenagers next to the punch, emptying the contents of a silver flask into the liquid.

I glance at the man beside me, wondering if I wanted to be the bad guy and snitch on the kids. I dismiss the action, not entirely bothered with the idea of teenagers letting loose and having some fun. It wasn't like they weren't already drinking. I spotted several boys already sharing a flask in the corner of the gym. 

It was too many students to worry about. I was only here to make sure things wouldn't get out of control. The man beside me heads back over to the punch, refilling his cup. Well, he's about to figure out the punch has been spiked.

My eyes leave him and land on Emily and Sophia dancing in the back of the gym. I make my way to the couple. The two were too immersed in each other they hadn't noticed my presence. I press my hand between their stomachs pushing them apart, "The appropriate distance is 3 inches. You two are practically fucking back here" I joke teasingly.

Emily flicks me off, pushing me away as she hugged her wife. I chuckle awkwardly as they get a bit too touchy-feely. "Where's your girlfriend? I thought you two would've snuck off by now" the blonde questions glancing around.

I scratch the back of my neck, "I'm not sure. She didn't arrive with Desire like I thought and she hasn't called me. I'm trying my hardest not to freak out but I'm freaking out."

Sophia eyes me cautiously and I smile nervously. "I'm fine, I'm just scared. I don't think I'm going to have an episode. I think I should call her."

I pull out my phone, ready to dial her number. I jump and curse as my phone falls from my hands as I get a call. I pick my phone up from the gym floor and glance at the caller ID. My heart jumps in my throat as I see Cassandra's name on my screen. I glance at Emily and Sophia before cautiously answering the phone.

"H-hello?" I answer, heart beating harshly against my ribcage. 

There's nothing on the other line for the first 40 seconds of the call. I pull the device from my ear, checking to see if she had hung up. Maybe it was a butt dial. I bring the phone back to my ear just in time to hear her voice panicking. "Dammit, breathe Casey! Breathe."

My vision unfocuses as I recognize the sound of sirens in the background. "Fuck!" Cassandra cries, "C'mon sis, you can't give up on me. Fucking breathe."

"C-Cassandra? Cassandra what's going on" I question, my voice shaking as I think of the worst-case scenario. I was just freaking out, right? Nothing was wrong. Casey was just choking on a carrot, right? Nothing was wrong.

I wait for the older sibling to speak to me but she doesn't. "Ma'am I need you to step away so we can help her." My mind is racing with a million thoughts as I try to make sense of the situation. I hang up the call and inhale, calling the woman again and hoping this time she'd answer and give me details.