Twenty-two

Casey

"I hate this time of the year" I sigh as I continue my drive to school. As expected like everyone does, right after Halloween, the Christmas decorations come into light. November has barely started. Does anyone remember that Thanksgiving is before Christmas? I roll my eyes as I pass by the 9th house with Christmas decorations.

I pull into the parking lot of my school. My eyes land on the brunette getting out of her car just feet away. I smile as I watch her gather her things. How does she leave 20 minutes before me and I still get the liberty of seeing her so early. I quickly get out of the car and lock it before heading her way. 

I sneak my way behind her. "Good morning Ms. Howard" I say with a smile. The brunette jumps and turns towards me. "Good morning to you too Casey. You mind giving me a hand?" she questions. I shaky my head. She smiles and opens her trunk, exposing two boxes of paperwork. "What's this for?" I question as I grab one. 

"The Mid year test is coming up for the entire school. These are study packets for my students going over everything we've covered this year and a little from last year as well."

I nod my head. I was a little annoyed at the realization that we'd have to take the Mid Year test in a week or so, followed behind Mid terms. Some teachers always give you a project and a test. I'm telling you teachers are literal Demons. My eyes meet Kathryn's warm brown eyes. Okay, some teachers are demons. This one is an angel. 

Kathryn closes her trunk and locks her door before heading towards the school building. I follow behind her, gathering eyes from everyone as we get closer to the entrance. I ignore the onlookers and continue following behind the beauty in front of me. Eventually we make it to her classroom.

"Thank you for the help, I'll pay you back. Lunch on me" Kathryn offers as she sets the box down. I place the one in my hands on the ground next to her desk. My eyes meet hers. I stand and meet her height. "I wish I could kiss you instead" I flirt. 

Kathryn smiles. But she doesn't say anything. "I guess that's my cue. I should go" I spit awkwardly. I wave at the woman before walking away. 

I find my friends by my locker and make way to them. "Look who decided to join us" Duke spits. I eye them in confusion. "Uh, yeah. I always do. Are we going to get breakfast or what?" 

Edwin eyes me cautiously before we head towards the cafeteria and away from my biggest secret. But there was nothing wrong about our relationship. Yet. We both knew we liked each other but neither of us are ready for a relationship. And we only kissed. So we're totally still legal. In a way.

"So, Cass and I were thinking for Christmas we could go to the cabin in Utah" Edwin spits grabbing my attention. I roll my eyes, not really interested in their relationship. "Do whatever you guys want" I spit sort of annoyed.

"Well that's the thing. We kind of wanted you to tag along and maybe Diana so you won't feel like a third wheel."

I eye the brunette. He wasn't serious was he. "Diana already said she was okay with it. Plus her boyfriend is going to Vermont for the holidays."

I sigh and shake my head. Like always, I'm the last to find out about something. I honestly didn't feel like leaving. Mainly because of a certain next door neighbor. I didn't know what she was doing for the holidays but I definitely wanted to see her if it were possible. "I'll think about it" I reply. 

I ignore the boy for the rest of breakfast time, not really wanting to go into details about anything. Once the bell rings, I'm the first in our group to leave. I head towards my first period class. My mind running wild with thoughts of Kathryn. I stop near the restrooms that were on the same hallway of my classroom.