Thirteen

Casey

1 WEEK UNTIL HALLOWEEN

The message had been sent to everyone in school. As if we needed the reminder. Halloween was practically every teenagers' favorite holiday, of course after Christmas. And for high schoolers, it meant having one of the kinkiest parties. We get to dress up as different characters. What wasn't kinky about it?

I walk the halls, with my head in my phone. I decided not to go home since Jasmine asked me to go to one of her Volley ball games. Of course I wasn't the only one going, Duke and Edwin agreed to tag along. Staying at school was my decision, I didn't want to waste gas to leave just to come back. My feet guide me down an all too familiar hallways.

Unintentionally I stop in front of Kathryn's door. Her classroom door was already open, however she wasn't inside. I notice she doesn't have a class this period either. I take a step closer and peek in. "May I help you?" I hear. I yelp and cover my mouth as I turn spotting a confused teacher. She furrows her brows and moves past me and into her classroom.

After a few seconds I follow behind her. "Miss Kings, is there something you need?" she questions with a sigh as she sits at her desk. Her brown eyes, take me in.

I shake my head and sit in one of the desks unfazed by her attitude. She still had a problem with me, nothing seemed to change for the past week. We'd bicker if we see each other outside of school. During school, she completely ignored my existence and vice versa. If she wanted to act like a petty high school girl, I would be glad to play along. After all I would win.

"No, I just want to hang out with the best teacher in the school" I lie. Her eyes fall on me, annoyance evident in her features. I crack a smile only causing her to get back to her work. She does her best to ignore me. After sometime, I decide to play some music from my phone.

She ignores it to the best of her ability.

"Casey if you're going to distract me from working, you can get out" she hisses. I smile at her, "Oh we're back on first name basis?"

She sighs loudly and once again tries to ignore me. After at least fifteen minutes I give in, turning off my music and feeling kind of like a jack ass. "Is there something I did?" I question kicking my feet onto the desk. She eyes me, displeased with my actions. "You were playing your obnoxious music while I was trying to finish work before my next class."

I roll my eyes, "You know that's not what I'm talking about Kathryn."

"Miss Howard to you" she spits. I lick my lips and tilt my head, keeping my eyes on her. She kept her eyes down while she pretended to be interested in the papers on her desk. I place my feet on the ground and stand. I walk to the door, feeling her eyes on me. I check outside the classroom, making sure no one was near before closing and locking the door. The sound of the click grabbing her attention immediately.

"What are you doing Casey?"

"We need to talk. I'm just making sure no one walks in. This one's more important than that dumb paperwork you're pretending to do" I spit. I stay by the door, my eyes focusing on her features.

She gives in, placing her pen down and turning towards me. "Why are you being so hostile towards me? What did I do?"

The woman bites down on her bottom lip. She doesn't answer. The silence fuels me. Gives me courage, confidence and frustration along with a big handful of insecurities. Was there something I did? One week we're friends and it all changes in one day. And all the days afterwards become so hazy with confusing anger that wasn't there at first.