Chapter Three

Elaina~  (Lainey)

What a shitty day. Nothing but meetings.

Lainey was heading back to her office when she spotted the delivery bag of food that she had ordered for her father, sitting on the edge of his secretary's desk. Assuming Gabriella was on break, Lainey grabbed the bag and headed toward her father's office.

I swear if it wasn't for me this man would never eat.

Every day, Lainey made sure to set an alarm in the afternoons to check to see if her dad had eaten. More often than not his answer was no. That or he had ordered something greasy and unhealthy which would often prompt Lainey to swap a salad in its place. She worried about her dad constantly. Ever since her mom passed away, he had thrown himself into work and rarely came up for air. Lainey was so proud of all he had accomplished, but she refused to let him run himself into the ground in the process. 

She was skimming over some documents she needed signatures on when she entered the office, completely unaware of the meeting that her father was hosting.

As soon as her eyes lifted from the papers in her hand, she felt eyes on her to the left and found a group of ridiculously good looking men standing off to the side. Not just ridiculously good looking, but unnaturally good looking, like they were created in a lab and not born like the rest of the mere mortals on earth. Their massive muscular builds meant they had to be some sort of security.

When her father started introducing the men, Lainey tried to match the names with each muscular body across the room.

Declan was the first to be introduced, standing slightly in front of the others. He was tall and broad with scruff on his face and a rugged look.

Next to be introduced was Marcus who was quite possibly the largest human she'd ever seen. He was a few inches taller than Declan and looked like a bodybuilder. His brows were lowered, but he gave her a half smile, which showed how kind his eyes were beneath that scowl.

Pierce was next in line and was about an inch shorter than Declan, but not nearly as board. Pierce gave her a wide smile, displaying perfect teeth and looked more like a model than someone who worked in the security industry.

Her eyes continued down the line of men until they eventually reached Caleb.

Lainey temporarily forgot how to breathe as her eyes landed and settled on Caleb. He appeared to be the youngest and was just as tall as Pierce, but looked like he was chiseled out of stone. He was lean and defined with a square cut jaw and eyes that burned straight through her. She looked him up and down, unable to fully process how attractive he was, but quickly realized how creepy she was being.

Quit being a creep Lainey.

She reprimanded herself, but it was too late. Those brown eyes had locked onto hers and he was giving her a smile that said - "caughtcha lookin."

How. Mortifying.

"Interviewing security for your campaign trail?" she asked, trying to regain her composure and needing a reason to pull her gaze from Caleb.

"Not entirely. I've hired Declan and his team as our private security until the election."

Our? Oh God you can't be saying what I think you're saying.

"Private security for the grounds?" she asked flatly, knowing that wasn't what he meant, but hoping it was true.

"Private security for the family...in addition to the grounds security that we already have in place."