Chapter Fourteen

Elaina~

The club was packed with a line wrapped down the street, but James was able to get them in using a side door that avoided most of the line crowd.

Once they were inside, Lainey's eyes had to adjust to the dim lighting, but she didn't have to worry about bumping into anyone. Marcus, Pierce and James surrounded her, shielding her from sight and from any unwanted physical contact as they made their way over to the table James had reserved for them.

James had a group of friends that joined them at the table, and Lainey watched as the playful relaxed expressions that she had seen on Pierce at the house were now hardened and focused as he sized up every person that came near the table. Marcus took a seat beside her and wanted to go over a few things before James started handing her shots.

"Alright honey. You see anyone you don't like or that you want gone, just let me know." Marcus said.

"Caleb give you a threat signal?" Marcus asked.

Lainey nodded and held out her hand, folding down her ring and middle finger down against her palm.

Marcus let out a low chuckle that rumbled from his massive chest at the sight of Lainey's hand.

"Of course that's the signal he wanted you to use." Marcus laughed.

"Do you know what that means?" he asked with a grin.

"No. What does it mean? Is it something bad?"

"I'll let Caleb explain it to you." he said, still laughing.

Lainey took a mental note to ask Caleb about the meaning of the hand gesture as soon as she got home. But before she could think about it too hard, James appeared with a tray full of shots.

He slid one to Lainey and she took a whiff of the strong smelling alcohol.

"Tequila?" She shrieked at her brother.

"You know what Tequila does to me," she sassed.

"Of course I do, why do you think I chose it." James returned with a devilish grin.

Lainey sighed and eyed the shot in front of her, contemplating if she wanted to go down that drunken road or not.

"Will you get over yourself for one night and just have a little fun, Lainey? You work too damn hard and your life is too damn heavy. Let go of it for a few hours and drink with me...we'll take care of you if you get sloppy, Bug. No judgement." James begged.

She looked at Pierce and Marcus who nodded along with James and put up their hands in an innocent pose.

"No judgement here either," Pierce assured her.

"You know what, you're right. I do work too damn hard." she said, before tossing the shot back, letting the tequila warm her chest and burn her throat.

Marcus, Pierce, and James all cheered her on, encouraging her to have a good time while also making sure she knew that she was perfectly safe to let her guard down in order to do that.

She danced with James' group of friends on the dance floor, letting all her worries fade away and once she found that place of complete happiness and contentment, Caleb's face flashed through her mind. It was strange to think that when her mind was completely relaxed and all of the filth and fear that surrounded her world had fallen away, her mind associated happiness with Caleb. The music wrapped around her and she danced until her feet started hurting, laughing along with James and his friends, but making sure to stay within eye sight of Marcus who was watching her like a hawk.