Chapter Twelve

Caleb ~

Caleb monitored Lainey's vitals as she slept, loving the soft sounds of contentment that she made in her sleep since her muscles had finally loosened and relaxed.

Ricardo and Camila came in to check on Lainey and took his place beside her at the bed. There wasn't one part of Caleb that wanted to leave Lainey's side, but he needed to get to his team and Lainey was in good hands.

Flipping on a radio, Caleb adjusted the channel and handed it over so Ricardo could call Caleb immediately if Lainey's breathing or heart rate dropped. The radios had been used to communicate with the grounds security team in case there was an incoming threat, but they obviously hadn't been used that night.

A lot of fucking good these did. Not only did they not radio, but I would bet anything that Javier just stepped aside and let them walk right through the gate.

Caleb grabbed his knife and glock off the dresser before he and Marcus joined the rest of the team outside by the pool. Once they made their way down the steps, all Caleb could see was Declan's large frame towering over the bound intruder, beating him into submission with his fists. He watched Declan stall his assault to let the man speak while he stretched and flexed his bloody fist between blows.

"I'm gonna ask you again, which one of these assholes are you working with?" Declan growled, jerking the man's head up to look at the grounds security team that was standing along the wall as if they were part of a police lineup.

Thick silence filled the air, interrupted only by the man's heavy breathing.

"Have it your way then...Hey Doc, you got a blade on you?" Declan called out to Caleb.

"Always Boss." Caleb gladly obliged, unsheathing his knife, while making sure the wicked looking blade was on full display for the intruder to see.

The sight of the knife in Caleb's strong hand was enough to break the man who was already on his knees, causing him to cower down closer to the tiled patio in fear.

"No wait! Please! I'll tell you anything!" The man wailed like the coward he was.

"It was Javi! Javi gave us a fifteen minute window at the gate!"

I fucking knew it.

Javier took an angry step forward, but was immediately met by Pierce who pinned him against the wall of the pool house by his throat.

Caleb's eyes were fixated on Javier and the rage that surged within him was unlike anything he'd ever felt before.

He was charged with Lainey's care, hired to protect her from the monsters who were out to kill her, but he served her up on a silver platter. Took money in exchange for her fucking life.

Pierce threw Javier to the ground and zip tied Javier's hands behind his back before pulling him up to his knees.

"Which member of the Flores family were you sent for?" Declan asked the man who had just confessed.

"Ricardo, we were sent to put a bullet in his head and told to make his family watch." the man admitted in a shaky voice as blood continued to pour from his nose and mouth.

Every word that was being said around him made Caleb's blood boil, but the sight of Javier's smug face sent him over the edge. Javier was grinning at Caleb, taunting him with a sadistic gaze that made the hairs on the back of Caleb's neck stand on end.

"You got somethin' to fucking say?" Caleb yelled at Javier.

Caleb's harsh words only made Javier's grin spread into a full on smile.