Chapter Nineteen

Elaina ~

Caleb's affection wasn't the only thing that had intensified in the past twenty four hours. His protective instincts seemed to be dialed all the way up as he escorted Lainey past the crowds of reporters at the charity ball. Normally Caleb rested his hand gently on the small of her back giving her small nudges and pulls in hopes that she would follow his lead. Tonight his hand was firmly gripping her waist, holding her in place tightly against his side and Lainey loved every second of their public closeness.

He was always hyper vigilant when he walked Lainey through a large crowd or when they entered a building that he was unfamiliar with, but tonight was different. Once they exited the cars Caleb's expression hardened to stone with his brows lowered and drawn together as if he had already decided that everyone around them was a threat. His sudden change in demeanor was endearing and made her feel cherished and cared for as they made their way inside.

Ricardo and Camila started to make their rounds once they had entered, getting themselves a front row seat to the charity auction that was set to take place later in the evening. Lainey and James made their way over to the bar with Caleb and Pierce following closely behind.

Ordering drinks from the bar, Lainey and James turned to survey the crowd that was starting to file into their seats for the auction. Sipping at her drink, Lainey looked up at Caleb who was cataloging every person in their immediate area, but he must have felt her eyes on him. He looked down at her, softening his expression as the corner of his mouth lifted into a smile, showing off a few of his perfect teeth.

James eagerly shifted his weight and tugged at his jacket in response to a woman who was slowly approaching him.

"She either knows you, or she wants to know you." Pierce said to James.

"She's one of the best lays I've ever had. Slept with her a couple of weeks ago, but I thought she was out of the country for the next few months."

"Well she's definitely got her sights set on you." Pierce observed.

"Hell yes. I'd love to go for round two tonight. If I could only remember her fucking name." James said, as he adjusted his tie.

James is such a dick. Of course he doesn't know her name.

"Fuck, what is her name?" James muttered to himself, with Pierce snickering behind him as James frantically searched his mind for the woman's name.

Lainey smiled and leaned in close to Caleb's ear.

"Her name is Gabriella, but I'm going to make James sweat it out for a little while before I tell him" she whispered.

Caleb let out a low laugh that vibrated in his chest as they both turned their attention to the woman who was now standing right in front of a very frazzled James.

"Good evening Beautiful." James said.

Nice try James.

"I didn't know you were going to be here tonight." Gabriella said, running her finger down the lapel of James' tux.

"Likewise, I thought you were out of the country for a while." James countered.

"Change of plans." she said, shifting her eyes toward Pierce and Caleb.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends, I don't think we've met." Gabriella said, giving Pierce and Caleb a smile.

"Introduce you? Of course I'll introduce you. How could I not introduce you." James' nervous rambling was hilarious and Lainey was loving it, but Caleb must have felt bad for him.