Chapter Twenty Nine

Elaina~

Lainey's whole body ached from the inside out. She felt empty and hollow, like Caleb had taken her heart and was holding it hostage, leaving her completely void of any positive emotions. She was angry, but not just at Caleb, she was angry with herself for letting her guard down and allowing herself to be used...again. Her mind was reeling and swirling with questions that she needed answers to, but she wasn't ready to face him yet.

All he'll do is manipulate me and lie to me. He'll use that thick southern drawl and those sweet nicknames to break me down and make me forget that he lied to me...that he used me for personal gain.

The cool night air whipped across the back of her neck, causing her to wrap herself up in the blanket as she watched James appear in her peripheral vision and take a seat beside her with a beer in one hand and an electrolyte drink in the other.

James sighed and took a long pull from his beer, before wiping his mouth and turning toward her on the outdoor couch.

"So are you going to talk to me about this or are we just gonna sit here all night?" James asked.

"There's nothing to talk about." she countered, pulling the blanket tighter around herself.

"Okay, so that's the game you want to play?" James scoffed as he leaned his elbows onto his knees to force her to look at him.

"Want to know what I think?"

Not really. But I know you're going to tell me anyway.

Lainey was silent, but turned her head toward him as acknowledgement.

"I think you're in love with him...But I think he scared you. And now you're running."

James' oversimplification of what had transpired that evening set Lainey on fire and she narrowed her eyes at her brother in response.

"He didn't just scare me James. He lied to me. He pretended to have feelings for me in order to get information for...for...hell I don't know what for or why, but the point is he used his close proximity to me for personal gain. If I can't trust Caleb, then I can't be with him. End of story." Lainey snarled.

"I hear you and I know trust is something you have a difficult time with, but think about it Lainey...really think. Is there any part of you that honestly thinks Caleb was faking his feelings for you. I know you heard the words, but when you were with him...did any of it feel insincere or faked?"

None of it. Caleb is the most genuine and sincere person I've ever been around. He made me feel seen, valued and...loved, but that's exactly why this hurts so much.

Lainey pushed out a hard irritated breath, annoyed that her brother was actually making sense and rolled her head around on her tired neck before she answered him.

"No. None of it felt insincere - the opposite actually. Caleb is the most sincere person I've ever met." she admitted, watching a grin spread across James' face.

"Then talk to him Lainey. Hear him out and let him explain himself."

Lainey shook her head in protest. She needed time to process away from Caleb. If she let him near her, his deep voice would send chills down her arms and his scent would overrun her ability to function. She wouldn't be able to think straight or be able to tell truth from lies if he was sitting near her, looking at her with those brown eyes that melted her. No she needed time alone.

"I just need some time to myself to sort through all of this." she said, hardening her expression.

"Okay Bug. But you've got to consider the fact that he lied to his boss for you so he wouldn't lose his job. It was unfortunate that you heard him tell that lie, but the fact is he lied to his boss not to you about his feelings."