Chapter Thirty Nine

Sorry for the delay sweet readers!

Elaina ~

Staring down the corrupt and evil men who had spent their lives trying to manipulate and control her family without success was a level of satisfaction that Lainey hadn't realized she needed. She stared into their souls and locked eyes with each and every malicious monster that had threatened to harm her family, saving Manny for last. She wanted to scream at the top of her lungs. She wanted to cry and collapse and give in to every ounce of despair that she felt, but she didn't - she wouldn't let him win that way.

I know what you did Manny.

Repeating the phrase over and over in her mind as she held Manny's gaze, she watched a hint of fear flash behind his eyes and loved the satisfaction that it brought her.

Feeling her emotions seize her lungs and inch their way up her neck, Lainey reclaimed her place against Caleb's side and whispered up into his ear.

"Get me out of here please." she begged against his neck.

"Yes ma'am." Caleb replied, raising his pointer finger in the air in a circular motion that prompted every man around Lainey to surround her and ready themselves to leave.

Lainey felt completely safe and secure surrounded by some of the fiercest men she'd ever laid eyes on. Every step they took was purposeful and calculated as they stared down each person they passed. It was robotic and machine-like the way they took in their surroundings, assessing everyone and everything for possible threats.

Caleb had a firm grip on Lainey's waist with his face hardened and serious. His brows were drawn into a hard line, scowling at everyone that looked in her direction and Lainey had never felt so protected. She knew, without a doubt, that even if the team wouldn't have come, Caleb was ready and willing to fight the entire world if Lainey needed him to.

Once they reached the cars at the top of the hill, Lainey tried to tamp down her emotions breathing and swallowing against the tears that were starting to come toward the surface.

"It's okay to cry Lainey girl." Caleb whispered as they reached the top of the hill.

Shaking her head in disagreement, Lainey refused to let herself cry or show any kind of weakness in front of the cruel men that had attended her father's funeral.

"I can't cry in front of them. They're monsters." Lainey said, looking down at the crowd of people who were still seated in front of the caskets.

"Don't look at them...look at us." Marcus said in a soft tone that Lainey wasn't accustomed to.

"We're your family, Bug" James said, taking hold of Lainey's hand.

"You were a fucking warrior down there baby, but you don't have to have your guard up to protect yourself right now." Caleb soothed.

Lainey felt the tears start to sting her eyes and her throat ached as the iron clad control she had maintained started to slip. Each one of Caleb's team members was giving her permission to break down. They didn't want to split up and climb into the cars. They wanted to surround Lainey with support all at once to show her that they would protect her if she needed to break down - that it was okay to be vulnerable around them.

"Let it out sweetheart." Declan said.

"You've been strong this entire time Lainey, let us be strong for you now." Pierce said.

Hunter and Axel moved and widened their stance, blocking Lainey from the view of the people at the gravesite.

"No one can see you, Honey." Hunter said.