The Theatrics of Angst II

Greg stumbled back in shock. Skylar stared at him like he was a small vulnerable rabbit, easily killable prey.

"Sk...Skylar...Lain," Greg stuttered. His hands were tucked at his sides and he stood awkwardly on his toes. Skylar wanted to scowl in disgust for being forced to look at him, a shivering mess. Greg Malcolm was the type of person Skylar hated the most. He was the definition of weak, needy, pathetic. He basically acted like the dirt on Skylar's shoes.

Jale stepped in front of Greg blocking Skylar's vision with his stocky muscular form. Skylar's eyebrows deepened into a crease. It was a complete contrast to the small skinny boy. It was almost laughable. Eyes of nonchalance bored into Skylar when their eyes locked at the same height.

They held every bit of malice Skylar knew. The rare gentleness had receded like mist. Skylar could see it clearly, Jale's naked thoughts reflected in that familiar hostile stare.

A psychopath, a freak, a living breathing piece of garbage.

Skylar took a step back when something vile slithered up his stomach. Skylar squinted slowly then scoffed. He knew this Jale. He created this Jale.

This was Jale, the hero and Skylar, the big, bad villain.

Skylar smiled.

"What? Hiding your scandalous affair?" Skylar smuggling stated trailing his eyes over to Greg who stood meekly. His shaggy head of brown hair peeked out and was ruffled. The strands were touching Jale's back. The boy was practically leaning. Skylar pushed down the scowl that threatened to wipe his smug off his lips.

"You know there's absolutely one thing that makes you disgusting to me," Jale breathed out taking one step closer to Skylar. Their noses almost touched but the distance between their emotions couldn't be more erratic.

"That doesn't answer my question," Skylar scoffed moving his eyes to glance at Greg then returned his sharp gaze to Jale's face.

"Your eyes,"

Skylar's dormant hand at his waist curled into a fist. He could sense the insult before it even left Jale's mouth.

"The way you look down on anyone, everyone like they're below your feet, you, mocking them with that high and mighty attitude. You're just a piece of shit Skylar Lain," Jale grabbed Skylar's shirt and drew him even closer so only he could hear the filthy words that could twist a man's gut,

"There's nothing about you that you should be proud of. None, Not a single god-given thing,"

"What are you guys doing!" Vale shrieked appearing abruptly beside Skylar with a helpless expression. She pushed her hands on Jale's chest and pushed him away separating them from each other.

Jale stumbled away almost toppling over Greg who was behind him but caught his balance in time. Skylar remained at the same place. He hadn't heard Vale, even noticed her. He wasn't hearing anything but Jale's voice in his head, echoing, filling his eardrums like a metronome.

Skylar could feel his heartbeat in his chest more than he ever felt it before. Jale's words weren't that different from what he always heard, from what he was always told but it cut deep.

"You're nothing but a mistake I made out of dubious attraction,"

"You're nothing special Skylar Lain and I want you to act like it,"

"I'm not the bad guy Boy, your mother is. Blame your slut of a mother for giving birth to such an ordinary piece of-,"

"The fuck is wrong with you guys? Why can't you guys get along!" Vale screamed. Skylar blinked then turned his head to Vale. He stared at her pretty made-up face. She was beautiful, even with that frantic expression, even when she held his arm. She was lovely but Skylar hated it. He despised her touching him. He loathed her unprompted affections. He detested it.