The Prelude II

Mr Pell was a sight to see when Skylar opened the door. Skylar wasn't one to be surprised by much, but seeing his principal, who was known for his stoicism, completely out of breath, messy and barely put together did in fact take him out of his element for a second. He stared with a raised brow and a question ready on his lips, but it just couldn't leave his mouth.

Mr Pell's face held all the expression he had seen from the man in 4 years. The man looked scared, but what could scare a man like Mr Pell? There was only one man capable of that. Skylar didn't have to guess. The answer was clear.

"Mr Pell," Jale said from behind Skylar, looking just as surprised as Vale that was next to him.

"This night couldn't get weirder," Vale sighed as she turned and walked into the house without a single glance back.

"It's almost 2 am. in the morning, sir, do you think it's appropriate?" Skylar began.

"Shut up," Mr Pell breathed out, placing Skylar with a sharp glare. Skylar's mouth closed into a thin line. Mr Pell pushed past them into the house and stood beside the couch. Skylar turned to Jale, who gave him a quizzical stare.

He was still holding the door open.

The cool breeze from the night blew in with a whistle. The quietness of the house made this entire thing heavier than it seemed. Skylar peered at the unwelcome intruder with a critical eye. His hands around the doorknob tightened in anticipation.

He took in more than enough. The man's hands, even though clenched into fists, were trembling. Mr Pell, who had an immaculate sense of fashion, was in a grey T-shirt and sweatpants. His shoulders were tensed as if the world fell on them in milliseconds.

Skylar slowly closed the door.

"Why are you here, Mr Pell?"Jale inquired. This situation would confuse anybody. If anything, a principal showing up at midday was fine. They had an arrangement ongoing. A man of higher status than them knew the right time to show up at a student's house.

Almost daylight was out of the question. Skylar could see how this would blindside Jale.

Mr Pell's shoulders rose as if he inhaled smoke and then fell.

"Skylar Lain," Mr Pell said at a barely elevated volume. It was steady, a betrayal to his very shaken state.

"This is you. This got you written all over it," Jale said after a beat, maybe a minute passed with the ringing silence echoing through the room. The particles were prickling with uncertainty.

Skylar was prickling with anticipation. His heart thumped when Jale's eyes met his. His fingers twitched. His entire body felt like the cords, and the heads of plugs were right there, ready to connect, sparking with a sizzle on the edge of touching.

It was time, but not yet, not here. Not yet.

"I admit, you win," Mr Pell breathed. His shoulders relaxed forcibly, and he turned around to show them the man they knew, but Skylar knew a facade when he saw one.

His eyes were burning, and a fire that was relit flared into his irises, staring at Skylar as if he was the devil incarnate. Skylar remained passive as he stepped closer but stopped a full inch away. Mr Pell's face looked like he was battling the urge to slap Skylar across the face or scream into a void.

"You know, how I never figured it out was fucking foolish of me, no, I plainly avoided the thought that bastard Scott was your father."

"Okay so now I'm even more confused here," Jale chuckled awkwardly looking between Skylar and Mr Pell.