I. Bash

Visitors of the French court often come and go.

For a period of time, they stayed in the palace and adapted themselves to the unwritten rules of French court, its norms, and joined French society, until they announced their departure and left for whatever country they intended to return to or to visit. For brothers Francis and Bash, visitors were merely shadows; passing through the great doors of France. But there were visitors who took selfish pleasure in the company of French court, and stayed a little longer. Often those visitors include young princesses sent by their power-hungry rich and noble parents, to seduce the dauphin with their flirtatious manners in an attempt to break off the betrothal between Francis and Mary and let them marry the young prince instead. They could also be cardinals or other religious men, noble and titled men, or distant relatives that Francis and Bash have never been acquainted with.

But as visitors were considered important for Francis, who was soon to become king and learn to create stronger alliances with others through close, and intimate bonds of friendships, the visitors of French court were a complete waste of time for Bash.

Whilst Francis stood in the throne room, introducing himself in a kind, and chivalrous (if it's a woman, no matter what age) manner to whomever the visitor was, Bash lingered in his chambers or went out hunting into the bloodwoods. Henry prided himself in the warmth joviality that his son, his trueborn son, evoked towards others. Although Francis's wrath may blind his thoughts, just as Henry, he was the kindest man in all of France. Those who see Francis believe that he is the true manifestation of a perfect king; something that Sebastian, the king's bastard, will never be.

Time had almost reached nightfall, and yet Francis was still entertaining some of the court's visitors whilst Bash sat on a chair, after he stripped himself off his hunting clothes. He wore a ragged tunic and trousers, and he still wore his leather boots in case the need of his appearance in the throne room arises. In his grasp was a silver cup of wine for which he drank merrily. Even though his mother no longer lived in French court, he felt her disappointed from miles away, for he sat in his bedroom, drunk and dirty, refusing to participate in society despite his lack of title and nobility. He glanced into the red waters that filled his cup. A red so deep it almost resembled blood. But it didn't matter to him, as the cup kept getting refilled and the burning feeling in his throat due to the wine began to disappear.

Bash almost fell into a deep sleep when his ears perceived three knocks on his door. A young guard, much younger than he, entered his chambers and said, "The king requests for your appearance in the throne room."

It took quite a while for Bash to fully comprehend the guard's words, as he was currently under the heavy influence of alcohol. Bash stood up and mumbled a few incomprehensible words, until the guard was forced to nod in confusion, and shut the doors.

Bash's hands immediately searched his wardrobe for a proper formal attire to wear. He wore his clothes quickly and drank one last sip of wine before he exited his chambers, almost tripping in the hallway. He soaked his face in water before he entered the throne room, and found French court in its happy, normal state where there were no false accusations being made, attempts of murder, and hurtful betrayals. Servants served plates of food, candles were lit throughout the room, musicians played merry music, and men and women drank and waltzed, while Bash remained the shadow of French court, passing through the endless pools of noble men and women.

His eyes have not caught the sight of the visitors yet, but he did catch those of Francis and Mary's.

They stood closely together. In their hands were goblets of fine wine, and they chatted away their troubles as usual. Bash saw Francis's eyes gazing at Mary's lips, ignoring whatever it is she was saying, and Bash chuckled. It was more than embarrassing to see a man like Francis unable to resist his sexual urges towards his wife before the public. Of course, Bash assumed that Francis was to bed her tonight.

Although admittedly, a small portion of Bash's love for Mary remained in his heart, he no longer cared for the romance that she and his brother displayed during parties and events such as this. He taught himself that if he simply weren't to look, he would no feel pain or envy. Bash soon grew bored of the party as no one greeted him, and planned to return to his chambers.

King Henry was the first to notice Bash's sudden appearance. "Sebastian," he hollered, as he stood next to Catherine, and the visitors. "Let me introduce you to our kingdom's new friends,"

He tried to walk steadily as he could. Obviously, the king's bastard was making a fool of himself, for Bash caught the queen rolling her eyes and muttering some derogatory remark under her breath. He sipped water to make himself sober before presenting himself to the foreigners, and it was the best he could do to help alleviate the burning pain in his throat and get him back to his usual state.

"This is Jean-Michel Prouvaire, a young entrepreneur and business owner from Auvergne," Henry introduced.

When's Bash's eyes averted to Jean-Michel's, he could not help but look surprised. An almost-coppery shade was the color of his skin, but his eyes were as blue as the waters of the sea at morn. He possessed a strong jawline, high-rising cheekbones and a noticeably robust figure that had become a form of intimidation for Bash. Sebastian had almost wanted to take a step backwards when he took notice of his appearance; such an appearance that suits an emperor of a thousand lands, not the son of a family that owned a business empire. But Jean-Michel's face brightened with pure kindness when a smile appeared on his lips.

"Pleased to finally meet you, Sebastian," Jean-Michel's deep voice uttered.

"Monsieur Prouvaire's family owns half of the farmlands in Auvergne, Aquitaine, Burgundy, and more," stated Henry next, as Jean-Michel's hand shook Bash's. "His mother hailed from a family of wealthy merchants and traders from Morocco, and her business tactics and her husband's charisma are the primary components to their business empire. Jean-Michel's family is the beating heart of agriculture in Southern France,"

"A highly respectable family indeed," replied Bash.

"And this is his sister," said Henry. "The young and beautiful Adèle Prouvaire shall enchant many men tonight."

"Including you, my dear," said Catherine, amusing her guests.

Bash could not help also noticing the uncanny resemblance that the two siblings bear. From the blue that flooded their pupils to their skin, even their height, one would have to be a fool to not think that they were blood relatives. Although Adèle was svelte and possessed the body similar to Mary and her ladies in waiting, she seemed a little bit more athletic to him. She wore a gown of scarlet silks that complimented her eyes well. Bash remained speechless when he stood before her, and simply bowed in response to his father's introduction to the most powerful siblings in Southern France.

"May I speak with you in private, Sebastian?"