XI. Bash

Bash returned to the castle, soaking wet. 

Attempting to avoid his embarrassment, Bash blushed all the way back to his chambers with his strange appearance. Servants, men and women of French court, all turned an eye to him as they caught the sight of the king's bastard soaking wet. Bash refused to see their amused glances, and walked quicker than ever. When he had almost reached his chambers, a few friends stopped him in his tracks. 

"Did you accidentally dive into a lake or have you grown blind?" asked Kenna in a sly tone. Lola and Greer laughed at her little joke, but her joke did not amuse Bash. 

"I was out riding," he replied. "I did not see the lake in front of me," 

"Such a terrible liar," said Lola. 

"Indeed, " spoke Greer next. "We know you were out with Adèle. If you are planning to seduce her, then I advice you not to. She's one of the greatest noblewomen in all of France. A girl like her will never find herself on the king's bastard's bed," 

"I do not intend to seduce her. She is a woman with a rank too high and too noble for a bastard," 

"What did you do with her, then? Did you kiss? Or did you decide to dive into the lake as your romantically embrace each other?" Kenna spoke.

Bash's cheeks went as red as a rose. "Lady Kenna, that is wildly inappropriate, especially for a lady-in-waiting to say. Now I ask you to remove yourselves from my bedchambers door so that I may enter," 

"Lady Kenna, I agree," said Lola. "Leave him in peace with his thoughts of Adèle Prouvaire," 

The three girls giggled like schoolchildren. Bash grew weary of their sarcastic remarks and attempted jests of him and Adèle, so he returned to the halls outside of the throne room, with an infuriated expression on his face. The waters had absorbed through his tunic, and so now his bare skin was visible to all those who appeared before him, including noblemen and noblewomen. He was embarrassed, but there was no longer a single care in him, and so he did not mind the glances thrown to Bash. He was stopped, once again, by his half-brother, and his wife. Francis gave him the strangest glance out of all of his audience in French court. 

"Don't ask," said Bash in an irked tone. 

"I did not intend to pry, " said Francis, and then proceeded to burst into fits of laughter. "After all these years, you are still the most ridiculous looking brother," he chuckled. 

"Bash, what happened?" asked Mary, looking more worried than embarrassed for him, which was something Mary continuously did that Bash was grateful for. 

"Nothing," replied Bash. "Nothing at all, your majesty." 

Bash's flushed in embarrassment as Francis's laughter roared throughout the hallways, catching the attention of several nobles and French court members. He gave a sarcastic smile to his brother, indicating him that now he too was making a fool of himself in front of the public. Francis's laughter ceased, but several Bash perceived several chuckles here and there when he tried to walk back to his chambers once more.  

It was the first time that French court caught the sight of Bash appearing physically embarrassed. It was also going to be the last time, according to Bash.