XLV. Adèle

Adèle and her little brothers left at first light.

Their carriage exited the castle in a rush, as the light of dawn breathed into the dark sky. She and her little brothers did not waste time preparing for the journey home, and so she spent a whole night as well as a morning to prepare. Adèle held the letter that Bash wrote for her father in her hands, and she could not help thinking that the next few weeks will be a painful one, for she knew that the plague would bring many deaths to France. She leaned her head against the wood of the carriage, as her arms wrapped around Cyril, who lay fast asleep on her lap. His head leaned on her shoulder, and because of this, Adèle could not move so easily.

Theo, on the other hand, has not fallen asleep yet, but he sulked throughout the journey. He kept asking her questions that she was unable to answer, for it would only annoy him even more. But he never stopped, and for this Adèle sulked as well.

"Why did we have to leave so soon?" Theo asked again, for the thousandth time.

"Because we are overstaying our welcome in French court," she lied. "The king and queen of France have their own responsibilities, Theo. I assure you that once they are no longer preoccupied by their work and their duties, we will come back soon and you can take as many trips with them as you like."

"But why now? What is it that's so important that we have to leave so early?"

"You are still too young to understand, Theo. Perhaps I will explain it to you when you are older. Ask me that question again in eight years,"

"Is it because of Bash?" Theo asked so suddenly. Adèle looked at him with both pain and anger in her eyes, and as he noticed this, Theo looked down at his hands, and avoided a scolding.

"Bash has nothing to do with this," she replied, softening her tone, to make sure Theo knows that she was not his mother, and that she, too, did not want a scolding or an argument. "You will understand once you are older."

Theo apologized, but he still did not look at his sister when he did it. Adèle, in response, leaned over to touch her little brother's hand, and said, "You know, after we arrive home, we will be taking a short trip to Italy. There, I will buy you as many gifts as you want,"

"Really?" He said as his eyes lit up with surprise.

"But first, I am going to need you to stop sulking, and looking so sad. You know I feel guilty when you do that. Do you understand?"

Theo nodded, grinning from ear to ear. He moved from the other side of the carriage to Adèle's, and leaned on her, as he began to fall asleep.