XLVI. Adèle

In a small countryside home near the French borders, Adèle was lying on the disheveled sheets of her bed; her eyelashes fluttering as rays of sunlight streamed into the room. 

The four-poster bed stood before an open window as it let in the cool breeze of the sunny afternoon, allowing the white silks tied to the wood of the bed to blow in the wind. Outside the window was the Italian countryside set out before them. There were vast lands of plowed fields, filled with groups of tall, dark green trees, and winding roads where farmers, merchants, traders, and laborers alike all worked together under the skies tinted with a shade of azure. Adèle loved the countryside, for it is where she felt closest to home. She had stayed in Italy for a few days, but she did not feel upset that she has left her home and French court, for she had grown fond of the house that she was staying in at the moment.

As a woman of refined taste and one who had great knowledge of many things, including home décor, Adèle's mother has certainly chosen this house well. It was not a very large house, that was for sure, but it was a comfortable home. The house stood on top of large hill, surrounded by a field of red flowers. Adèle wished to remain here for much longer, although she knew that she would have to return to France sooner or later.

In her hand was the first letter that Bash sent to her after she left for France. Before reading it, her fingertips touched the edges of the paper, spending several minutes feeling its texture. Then, she breathed a heavy sigh, and began to read. As usual, Bash always wrote with short, and succinct sentences, but that was all she needed from him.

Dear Adèle,

How are you finding your stay in Italy? I do hope the plague has not reached outside of the borders, and that all is well in Italy. Whilst I do expect Italy to be peaceful, France is not.

French court has gone into panics. The plague has entered the castle, as expected, and Mary and Francis are trying their best to reduce the amount of deaths. But it is creeping in faster than I expected, for there has been many visitors, especially farmers and laborers, from various villages. The casualties caused by the plague could be described as very severe, for now there is a shortage of food supply for the people, even for the members of court. Sometimes people host parties here to distract us from the plague, but it is quite obvious that French court is always worrying and doubting. The famine and the plague are always in people's minds, including mine's as well. I see people suffering everyday, from servants, stable boys, to villagers.

It has been more than difficult to try and provide food for the people. I have heard that Mary and Francis are working together with Lord Eduard Narcisse, one of the richest nobles in all of France, who possesses great power over the food supply. However, Francis has told me that he has threatened him to get rid of his rival, another noble. Mary and Francis refuse to do so, and as long as they keep refusing, Narcisse, too, refuses to provide food. They have tried working with other nobles as well, but I ask you, kindly, to provide a small amount of grain for the castle and for the villages around castle grounds. I know it is a very big favour for you to do, but your family has more power than you could possibly know.

Lord Eduard Narcisse acknowledges this as well, but with your family away, fearing the plague, he is determined to become the sole person who holds power and control over the food supply. If you do want to help, I suggest that you discuss this with your father, and ask him to write a letter to your brother, who I assume is in charge of your family's château whilst you are away. If you mention my name and show him this letter, it will be better. No matter how much grain you send to French court, I can assure you that I will forever be grateful for it, along with the whole of court and the villages.

I shall thank you a thousand times and more if you agree with my proposition. French court misses you, and so do I. Mary and Francis send their love to Theo and Cyril as well.

Come home to me soon, my lionheart.

Sebastian.