LIX. Adèle

Before she was to return to Aix-en-Provence, Adèle had requested a very special person to make an appearance in her chambers.

As her suitcases and her valises were nicely stacked on top of one another and placed at the edge of her room, Adèle's bedchambers looked emptier than ever. Her parchments and quills had also been placed inside the trunks, and so she sought to indulge mostly in the books that Francis had borrowed her for her to read, each time she grew bored of French court. She sat on her armchair, resting her elbow on one of its arms as she held the book up to her face. 

One would not have thought to disturb her as she was reading, for she looked so absorbed by the contents of the book that she did not seem to notice that so much time has ticked by. There were three knocks on her door, and Adèle became so startled that she jolted up from her seat and almost threw her book on to the ground. After calming herself down, Adèle paced towards the entrance of the bedchambers.

"Hello, Kenna." she greeted her guest, who was standing before her looking painfully shy and uncomfortable at this very moment.

"Afternoon," she muttered as her eyes avoided those of Adèle's. "You asked for me?"

"Yes, I did actually," Adèle welcomed her into her chambers. "Come on in, Kenna. I have something to discuss with you."

"Adèle, I no longer have any ill intentions towards you or Bash, I promise you. I have written to Bash and explained very clearly that Bash shall marry you and you only. Please, Adèle, I am no longer filled with envy, I am-"

"I believe you, Kenna, there is no need to seem so jittery," Adèle gave a kind smile. "Let us leave Bash out of this, shall we? I am sure that neither of us want to talk of him right now, for it would make the situation be even more.. uncomfortable,"

"So what is it that you want to talk about with me?" Kenna asked with great curiosity in her tone, as she stood near the fireplace. Her eyes now did not avoid Adèle's, for she realized that whatever they were going to discuss of, it will have no relations to Bash, as Adèle has already reassured.

"Kenna, I would like to say beforehand, that I deeply regret ever feeling any hatred towards you, and that is a confession that you must believe," Adèle stepped closer to her. "It was silly of us to never try and befriend each other, all because of unnecessary feelings of envy, and hatred, and jealousy. I believe that we could be friends.. unless you do not want to be, but that is merely a suggestion. You were one of Mary's ladies-in-waiting that interested me most, for you were certainly the liveliest of all of them,"

"Adèle, I appreciate your compliments, but I do not believe that a friendship between the two os uf will be approved of in French court. It is certain that they will find it a bit.. peculiar, considering past events." Kenna backed away slowly, now looking at the crackling flames of the fire.

"I never really cared much for the opinions of others, really," she chuckled. "I know that you are very kind at heart, even though Bash sometimes tells me otherwise. But I do not believe a single word he tells me of you. I do know that you are as kind, and as generous as Mary's other ladies-in-waiting, and despite favouring grand parties and nice dresses, there is not a hint of arrogance in you,"

Kenna averted her gaze to Adèle, who was smiling at her like an old friend. "Do you really think so?"

She nodded, "I do."

"Oh, god," said Kenna. "I feel so stupid, so foolish.. I have said such bitter remarks of you, when I was engaged to Bash. I had not known that you thought of me this way, forgive me,"

"Don't apologize. Our past is behind us, and it is best that we move forwards, towards the future, don't you agree?"

Adèle took notice of the small tears that filled the edges of Kenna's eyes as she finished her sentence. Before she had even realized it, Kenna had rushed over to her, and gave her a tight hug, as Adèle heard her quiet, regretful sobs. She did not know how to respond to this, and simply hugged back, although was still more confused than ever. Kenna kept on apologizing, even though Adèle insisted her to stop doing so. As they hugged, Adèle heard someone enter her bedchambers, and noticed that it was none other than Bash himself.

With a bewildered expression painted on his face, Bash opened his mouth to speak, and uttered quietly so that Kenna does not notice his voice in the room, "The carriage is ready for us, Adèle."

"Wait for me," she mouthed to him, as Kenna soaked an area of the fabric of her dress with her tears.