XVI. Adèle

She would never have known that his letters would become a source of tranquility in the midst of her hectic life at home. 

Her body grew more fatigued every day as Theo and Cyril always requested for her appearance in their chambers. With this, she rarely found time for herself in bedchambers, her study or the great outdoors. Adèle longed for horse riding at mornings, a usual routine she had since she was but a young girl, but with her brothers running to and fro, she rarely indulged in genuine relaxation. In one rainy afternoon, Adèle found herself sitting on the chair in her little brothers' bedchambers, glancing out the window and gazing at the trees of a forest that set before their château. 

Theo and Cyril busied themselves with their numerous toys, and laughing about the room as they played games whilst being constantly watched by their sister. If one of them were to hurt each other, Adèle was prepared to give them a light scolding, but then would let them play along, until one of them misbehaved once more and the cycle repeats. 

Rain poured down in sheets outside their window, and the sun hid itself behind the gray clouds. Adèle seated herself on an armchair near the fireplace with a book in her hands. Her concentration was continuously disrupted as the laughter, the giggles and the shrieks of their little brothers pierced her ears, but she did not mind, as she told herself that she was glad that she was finally home with people of her blood, and people whom she has long been good friends with. Adèle's eyes began to blink slower and she felt that she was about doze off, but she perceived the voice of a servant who had just entered the room. 

"A letter for you, miss," said the servant, who was a young girl, not much older than fourteen and was the daughter of another middle-aged servant who once raised Adèle when she was a babe. 

"From who?" she asked. 

"Sebastian de Poitiers, son of King Henry." The servant replied. 

It was clear that Adèle was startled by her response. She immediately rose from her chair, and then headed towards the servant until she handed her the letter. It was indeed, a letter from Bash, for there was the red seal with the royal coat of arms on the envelope. "Leave me be," said Adèle. "And bring Theo, Cyril and me cups of warm milk with honey, please. Thank you," 

She settled herself into her armchair and wrapped her shoulders with her furs, the letter still in her hand. She read the letter carefully, whilst observing Bash's particularly neat handwriting. As she read the letter, a wide grin appeared on Adèle's lips, which seemed to confuse both her little brothers and the two maids that were also in Theo and Cyril's bedchambers. Blushing, Adèle tried to her smile, but alas she could not. She excused herself from her brothers' chambers and then headed towards her study, where she would be able to write in peace. 

The study in her family's château was not a particularly large one, for it was intended to be used as one of the servant's quarters, as suggested by her father. But Adèle refused and stated that room could be put into better use, and that it was far too small for servants, thus it would make them feel uncomfortable in their home. After hours of convincing her father, Adèle finally had her own study and small library, where she was to spend hours upon hours writing letters and reading the books she inherited from her aunts and her mother, who was equally as book-obsessed as she. 

Adèle seated herself in her desk chair and picked up a feather quill. Then, she proceeded to pick up a leaf of paper from the right of her desk and then began to write a reply to Bash. Before she did so, Adèle gathered ideas in her mind on what to write and what to avoid writing, but as she wrote, her quill moved gracefully on the paper and the words began to pour out into the letter by itself. 

Dear Bash, 

All is well at home. 

My time at home is mostly spent with Theo and Cyril, as they have been begging for my company after a mere two days. Jean-Michel is busy as ever, taking care of my family's farmlands and travelling to all sorts of places in France. My mother and father are, unfortunately, still prefer being separated from one another, but as time passes they will find their way back to one another slowly and gracefully. 

I have yet to tell my father of my engagement, but I have told my mother. She, too, was delighted to hear of our betrothal. Although I could see in her face that she was worried I was to marry a stranger, especially if it's a bastard with no title. You need not to worry. My mother is a woman of charisma, and she befriends everyone, not just for power and connections. Perhaps you can meet her as well when you travel to Aix-en-Provence, but we will have to travel to my family's summer estate. Regarding your offer of a future visit to my home, I have decided that it will do both of our families and us good as well. They will see that we have softened up to one another, and know that our marriage will not be a fruitless one. 

I am also glad that you want to know my little brothers more, as they need another friend in the château, and not just me and the servants. I advice that you do not bring them gifts, for they have been spoiled by Mary's gifts already. Bring them books, or anything that will be able to teach them how to read and write. Your company will be very advantageous to them, and for that I thank you.

And yes, I do know that you are not a romantic man. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I know I have told you that I want a marriage full of love, but there will be ways that we can make this work, for both of us. I, too, am shy, and very sensitive to new experiences. If you make this work, I will too. 

I wait for your arrival. 

Adèle