XVII. Francis

When Francis heard his brother was to leave the palace for a short amount of time and travel to Aix-en-Provence, he was rather shocked. 

Francis stood in his brother’s chambers; while Bash busied himself by preparing the clothing he was going to bring for his journey to Adèle’s home. “Why would you leave so soon?” asked Francis. “With the upcoming joust, I thought that you would stay for a while. Francis was visibly confused by his brother’s unexpected voyage, and he could not stop prying him with questions, even though Mary had consulted him not to do so. 

“It’s a personal matter,” said Bash. “One that you will not be able to understand.” 

“Is it probable that you are going to put yourself in danger for this voyage?”

“I am always in danger,” he uttered, sounding annoyed by Francis’s questions. “As you have never noticed.” 

“Is it somehow related to Adèle?”

Bash turned to his brother, and remained silent. “Yes.” He replied shortly, with a voice that was hardly audible to the ear. He saw as Francis began to understand why Bash wanted to leave the castle so soon. 

“I see,” said Francis. Bash heaved a sigh as he had finally put an end to his brother’s questions. “Have you kissed?”

Bash grew even more annoyed. “No,” he almost yelled at his face. 

“You have not even kissed,” said Francis. “How can you two expect to have an heir?”

"An heir is least important to our marriage. I have no land, therefore we don’t need to have a child to inherit my non-existent fortunes,” 

“You don’t need an heir, but she does, Bash. She’s a noblewoman with lands of her own,” Francis pointed out. Bash, although annoyed, listened to him. There was truth in his words, he realized. 

“I suppose you’re right.”

“As I always am,” Francis said jokingly, and then Bash slapped him on his shoulder. 

“What was that for?” asked Francis. 

“For prying,” said Bash, and then slapped him again on the shoulder once more. 

“And that?” he asked again. 

“For fun.”