XXXIII. Adèle

"Seems odd to be helping the woman who stole your betrothed from you plan her wedding, isn't it?" whispered Greer.

Adèle, in response, elbowed her and returned to arranging flowers in a silver vase. Kenna, Mary, Greer, Lola, and Adèle herself settled themselves in Kenna's bedchambers. Mary and Greer were given the responsibility to create decorations made of false pearls (which was something Kenna disagreed on, but Bash insisted since they could not outshine Mary and Francis's wedding). Lola and Adèle, on the other hand, were in charge of arranging flowers in their vases. Adèle admitted to Kenna that she had very refined taste, as the flowers she chose for her wedding delightfully went well together. In response to her compliment, Kenna simply replied with a short thank you, and gave a small, forced smile.

"Why does she seem to hate you so much?" asked Greer. She and Adèle both sat together near the window as they did their duties. Mary, Lola, and Kenna sat far off near the fireplace, laughing and giggling to themselves.

"Only God knows," replied Adèle as her fingers touched the petals of the light pink roses in her hands. "Besides, I can tolerate her. Her marrying my once betrothed is not a reason for me to begin hating on her."

"Most women would disagree on that,"

"Oh, I don't really care what most women think. And anyways, I am the one who allowed her to marry Bash. If I were to begin despising her because of her marrying Bash, as I have said before, it would mean that I have changed my mind, then it will seem as if I am still desperate for Bash,"

"Which you are not?"

"Which I, most positively, clearly, surely, perfectly, am not, Greer." Adèle smirked, and began placing the batch of roses into the vase one-by-one. She began to realize how much she enjoyed arranging flowers, for it calmed her.

"If you had not permitted her to marry Bash, would you still marry him?" she asked. "Of course, most people in French court, including myself, expect you would, for your engagement seemed to be out of love, and not just because Henry once forced you to."

"Your questions confuse me, Greer," Adèle let out a soft chuckle. "What are you interrogating me for?"

"I'm just curious, nothing more," she replied. "So? What is your response to the question, then?"

"If I answer, would you please stop asking me such puzzling questions?"

Greer nodded. Much to her disappointment, Adèle's reply was not a positive one. "I would not marry him, even if I was the last woman on Earth."  She said.