XLIV. Bash

As time passed on, Bash noticed Adèle frequently visited his bedchambers.

Although this may cause a bad impression on the members of court, Bash knew that she did not care. His consciousness has returned, but he was still having trouble being fully awake. Adèle often came to his bedchambers with a smile on her lips, when she found Bash lying on the bed, weary and half asleep, who, despite being in pain, always smiled back when he saw her. She rarely spoke when she sat next to him, but simply caressed his fingers as he began to fall asleep. However, one evening, he attempted to start conversation.

"What you did was very courageous of you," said Bash. His voice was raspy, but somehow still soft, as perceived by Adèle's ears. "I did not know you were able to defend yourself so well."

"Well, that is what you get when you grow up with three boys," Adèle chuckled. "You get to learn things most people think girls should not learn, like how to fight even with a simple dagger."

"..Is Kenna still furious with you?" The question unexpectedly escaped Bash's lips.

"She has been.. pleasant," Adèle turned her eyes to the ground, before going back up so that her gaze was now fixated on Bash's light blues again. "But I cannot appear in public as of the moment, for I cannot stand seeing Kenna so upset and bitter. Bash, I know you will hate me for saying this, but you should not have left the wedding for me,"

Bash looked away from her and sighed, "It was done out of love."

"And foolishness," replied Adèle. "You really should not have done what you did, Bash."

"Do not get me wrong, Adèle. When I left the altar that evening for you, I knew the consequences perfectly well, and they rested in my thoughts throughout the time I ran for you."

She turned her head from him to gaze at the fireplace. It was obvious that she did not want to speak of it at the moment, and so Bash attempted to change the topic of the conversation.

"I have to tell you something," Bash said, his expression now grew serious.

"What is it?"

"When you killed the Darkness, you may have caused something very bad to happen," He said, determined to speak gently so that she will not be so unnerved by what he was going to say. "Several guards, including myself, have been searching for the Darkness for months, and we obtained very little, but crucial information about him. It seems that I have found out that the reason behind all the blood sacrifices and killings committed by the Darkness,"

"Yes, I know, to prevent the plague from taking the away the lives of the people of France," she said, as the words of the Darkness echoed in her head. "Although I still don't want to believe it."

"Well you should, because it may just be true."

"So you think I should not have killed the Darkness? A moment ago you seemed proud that I did it,"

"That is not what I am trying to say," Bash sighed heavily. "I don't know exactly if the existence of the Darkness does keep the plague away from France, but I have heard reports that the plague has once crept its way back into the castle."

"What are you trying to say? That I have caused innocent lives to die due to the plague because I have killed one, who I remind you, was a monstrous and evil man?" Adèle's face turned into a shade of scarlet, as she grew even more bewildered and confused than before. "What do you suppose I do, then? Leave France?"

"Once the plague has arrived, you must take away Theo and Cyril with you, and your family as well. Does your family own a villa, or a château outside of France?"

"Perhaps.. I think my father owns a small countryside home in Italy, near the borders. But do I have enough time to leave the castle for Italy?"

"You will have more than enough time, I am sure. There are still small signs of the plague entering the castle, but I want to prepare earlier for you, Adèle. I don't want to see you, or your family in danger."

"When should I leave?"

"As soon as possible," he responded. "It is best that you leave today. You do not have to notify Mary and Francis in person. Simply write them a letter, or I will tell them myself. You need to have time to prepare for your travels, that is why I am urging you to leave today, Adèle. Once you have left France, remain in Italy until I have notified you with a letter."

"But my father will not easily believe my words. I reckon that you should write a letter first to him, and that I will deliver myself."

"I suppose," said Bash. "I will write the letter once you have finished packing you and your brothers' valises."

"Bash, I do like the idea that you want to protect my brothers, and my family from the plague, but if this is the plague is of my own doing, then at least I would like to help those who will suffer from it, by offering them something."

"You feel too much guilt, Adèle. Let it be known that Mary, Francis, myself, and the whole of French court, will help the people of France. Your responsibility, for now, is to help your little brothers, and your family."

"But, Bash.. what if the plague does not enter the castle? What if the Darkness was feeding us lies?" Adèle said, as she touched Bash's fingertips. "Do you expect me to be away from you, and from French court once again?"

"Believe me, Adèle, I do not want to be separated from you as well. But this is for the greater good. Once you have left France, you and your family will be safe, whilst Francis and Mary take care of the people of France, and keep them away from the plague. Do you understand?"

"And what about you?" she asked, seeming worried.

"I will be here during your stay in Italy, and aid Francis and Mary. We will write to each other again, but I'm afraid I will not be able to visit you all the way in Italy."

"Letters are quite fine with me," said Adèle. She rose from her seat, and smoothed the fabrics of her dress, but she was still looking at Bash.

"Good." He gave a wide grin. "So is this going to be the last we see each other in French court, for now?"

"I suppose so." Adèle smiled, and turned to pace towards the doors of his bedchambers. Bash stopped her by calling out her name, and she turned around and raised an eyebrow, looking confused. She blushed, once she realized why he called her back.

Adèle pressed her lips against Bash's, leaning in only for a short kiss, for she had much to do. When she wanted to turn away and leave his chambers, Bash grabbed her by the arm, and he pulled her back to him. He leaned in for another kiss, one that was much longer. Bash could not help but feel content during their kiss, even when he knew that they were to be separated for a few weeks, or months if possible. This kiss showed him that Adèle was still, fortunately, in love with him, and so there was still a chance that they could be united as a married couple.

He kept this kiss as one of his happiest memories.