XIX. Bash and Adèle

A serene twilight set before their eyes.

Bash and Adèle stood in her study, before the fireplace. None of them had said a word to one another. They were simply.. gazing at each other, with a fixed smile on their lips. It seems as though they were observing each other, but that was not at all the truth. They were passing the time admiring each other and being grateful for the fact that they had found the time to be with one another in the midst of their busy, hectic lives which distracts and sets them apart. Bash was dressed in his best clothes, one that he would wear to grand parties held in the castle. Adèle too, had tried her best to appear her best. Based on several suggestions by her maids, she chose a simple evening gown of light blue and white fabrics. The detailing of the dress included white flowers that were embroidered to various areas of the gown. With the help of her maids, she had also fashioned her hair in something simple and subtle, but mostly let her long hair flow down to her waist.

"You look beautiful, Adèle." said Bash, breaking the silence that once almost seemed never-ending. "Forgive me for my tardiness."

"It's all right, although my father and my brothers were annoyed by your late arrival. But they seemed to like you, and that's what matters anyways."

"Well, I send them a thousand apologies. I rode on my own, and the weather was harsh and so was my journey."

"Did you receive my letters?" Adèle asked.

"I did," replied Bash. "Your write eloquently, and I can see why. I have never seen so many books in a young woman's study before."

"I try to read as much as I can," said Adèle. "And Bash, I must say you were very well with Theo and Cyril. Perhaps you might want to spend more time with them too, during your visits."

"I do like them, but I would rather spend time with you, if you don't mind," Bash smiled.

"No, I don't mind that at all."

"We should go riding next morning. I know and have seen how much of an expert you are at horse-riding, but I have not fully believed it yet,"

"And why is that?"

"I'm fooling around. I know you are, lionheart."

Bash grew silent again, and so Adèle said: "You look troubled. What's wrong?"

"I was wondering if you had spoken to anyone of my father's.. illness to anyone yet,"

"I have definitely not," she reassured him. "I would never expose such a secret to anyone, even my family. I know that it would anger you if I did, and if news spreads of it, both our lives would be put to risk. Especially yours, since.."

"Yes, I know," he muttered. "But there's something else that troubles me too, Adèle."

Adèle's face hardened with concern and replied, "What is it?"

"Francis said something to me before my voyage here.. Something that I seem to cannot get out of my mind," Bash said, with courage in his heart and hope that Adèle would understand. "Do you not think it strange that as a couple who has been betrothed for more than two weeks now.. we have not shared, you know.."

"A kiss?" Adèle, instead of looking surprised, smiled and almost giggled like a young girl.

"Yes. Does it not trouble you?" Bash seemed confused.

"If you have been longing for a kiss, you can just tell me. I know I'm not very open to newer experiences but I could try, and you could teach me, Bash."

"Have you ever kissed anyone before?" He asked, curiously.

"Dear God, no. My father would be furious, so I have to simply show myself as a prudent young Catholic while I have dreams of love like any another regular sixteen-year-old," she replied.

"I'm just not sure you're rea-" Bash's sentence did not reach an end, for Adèle, though unexpected, pressed her lips against his. He noticed there was a sweetness to her lips, although that might have been because of the sweet tarts that they ate during the feast. Adèle, despite being the one who commenced the kiss, found herself in a state of confusion, and not knowing exactly what to do next. Bash pulled away from the kiss, gazed at her, and understood her confusion. His hand caressed her cheek and then pulled her in closer, and now he was the one who had kissed her first.

Adèle's cheeks flustered as she experienced not one, but two kisses in the very same evening. She began to notice how much she loved Bash's little moves as their lips touched. His arms would touch her waist gently, making sure that she remains comfortable whilst still finding pleasure in his movements. He also placed his heavy hands on her face, to make sure that she does not pull away. But what Adèle had loved the most, was when he pulled away, his eyes were two light-blue pools filled with ardor.

It was not love and ardor for Mary, or for any other woman Bash was once infatuated with. His ardor was reserved for Adèle, and her only.