XXI. Adèle

Long live the king.

When the news of Henry's death reached her ear, Adèle's heart raced. The death of their king would mean that Francis and Mary's coronation would come soon, and she would have to leave for court once more. After a talk with her brother and her father, she, along with Theo and Cyril were the ones who were to go to the castle to congratulate the new king and queen of France. Adèle refused at first, telling them that it would impolite for Jean-Michel or their father not to attend. They explained that they were too busy taking care of the lands, as they, along with other nobles, were expecting a famine.

Jean-Michel, too, was awfully busy with his new wife. Based on Bash's advice, Adèle told his brother to marry a young woman named Marie, a noblewoman from Scotland who owned lands of her own after both of her parents died, and was left to live with her sole brother, Charles. Marie took up chambers of her own in the castle, along with Charles, who was one of Henry's advisors within the field of trade between France and Scotland. Adèle found Marie a bright young woman, and intelligent as well. She excelled in the study of life sciences and had a vast knowledge of trade and business after having spent a lifetime learning of the two, and so Adèle perfectly understood why Bash suggested her to marry Jean-Michel.

Adèle now stood in her bedchambers, as the servants took her valises and her brothers' to the carriage. She found it oddly exciting that she was going to return to court, after being a few months apart from society. Adèle could not help but smile to herself. To meet Francis and Mary again, but now as her new king and queen was the greatest honour she was to possess.

"Where are we going?" asked Cyril, as he stormed in the room, running to Adèle and tugged on her dress.

"We, Cyril, are going to the king's castle," she replied. "And we're going to meet Bash as well, and there you will meet young princes of your age."

"But why?" he complained.

"Because Francis, my friend, and the one who gave you your sword, is going to be the new king of France and his wife, Mary, is going to be queen. There will be a great celebration where you can dance all night, eat all the food you want, and listen to music you have never heard before."

"Why can't we just stay here?" asked Theo, who now entered her chambers as well.

"Because," Adèle said, hinting that she began to grow weary of explaining everything to her brothers. "It'll be very impolite not to, and I want you to meet the new king and queen of France and thank them for giving you gifts. They deserve it,"

"Fine." they both grunted in unison, and then were led to their carriage by their maids. Adèle followed them from behind. She bid her farewells to her father, Jean-Michel and his new wife, Marie, who stood beside him, as they held each other's hands. Adèle was more than pleased by the happiness that Jean-Michel exhibited with Marie, for she knew deep in her heart that he was now truly happy, and she only had one person to thank: Bash. But she removed thoughts of him for the moment, for she knew that it would only put her in distress.

Adèle hopped off into the carriage along with her little brothers, who occupied themselves with their toys. She, on the other hand, had a book in her hand and figured it was best that she avoided falling asleep so she could watch her brothers with full attention. The horses began to trudge on the dirt roads, and they entered forests, passed large lakes, and the three fell into a deep slumber as the sun set on the horizon.

"Miss," she heard a voice call out to her. Much time had passed during their voyage, and she did not even realize that they had reached castle grounds.

Adèle gasped when she noticed the heavily decorated castle. The gardeners have specially tended the front gardens well so that flowers of all kinds bloomed under the sun. Lanterns were set everywhere, ready to light the night with its luminous glow. She also caught the sight of musicians who had stepped off their own carriage and was directed to the castle, bringing with them various kinds of instruments that some she knew, and some she didn't.

"Miss," the voice said again. It was none other than the man who handled their carriage. Their valises were already brought into the castle, and she was to be directed to her rooms. Adèle awoke her little brothers from their sleep, and they were evidently disgruntled for she had disrupted them from their sleep and were far too lazy to do anything than lay in their beds. In consequence, she had to carry Cyril, the younger, while she held Theo's hand and watched his every step, making sure that he did not fall into the ground.

"Come on now," she said to Theo, who was mumbling something she did not understand. Cyril fell asleep on her shoulder, and Theo tried his best to walk whilst still half-asleep. Several other guests, including nobles and servants welcomed her arrival, and she replied with a simple smile and a hello. She walked into the castle halls holding her little brothers, and stumbled upon Francis, already prepared for his coronation.

"Your majesty," Adèle tried to curtsy, with a child in her arms.

"Adèle! I am delighted that you have come with your brothers. Ah, they're still asleep," Francis said.

"Forgive us. It has been a long journey, and they are fatigued."

"It is fine. We shall be acquainted in the feast after the coronation. Then, I will be able to properly greet Theo and Cyril."

Adèle smiled, and Francis proceeded to excuse himself, for he was waiting for Mary and his mother. It surprised her than she still remembered these halls, and every little detail of the castle. She remembered every face, every servant, and every voice she heard during her first stay in court. Adèle longed to see all of the friends she made in court, but who she longed to see the most, was Bash.

Coincidentally, he was standing at the edge of the hallway, talking to Lady Kenna.