XLVIII. Bash

He was incandescently happy.

And it was not solely because that Adèle and her family have agreed to provide aid for French court. It was also because the mere thought of her brought him happiness. Despite the distance, his affections did not seem to last; it seemed to grow each day. She, Adèle, had been the first person that was able to accept his flaws. The first person to be able to look at him as an individual, and not just Henry's handsome bastard. As he walked back to his chambers, he could not get rid of the grin on his face, and although this confused several court members, guards, and servants were passing by, he could not care less. As he reached he reached the hallways where his chambers were situated, he was unexpectedly stopped by an old friend.

"Er, afternoon, Kenna," he said politely, still smiling like a child. Oddly enough, he did not feel uncomfortable standing in front of woman who he abandoned at the altar.

"..Afternoon," Kenna replied shortly.

"Where are you heading to?" 

Kenna looked at him with a puzzle expression painted on her face, but still, she responded to his question. "To my bedchambers. Why do you ask?"

"I was merely being polite, that is all," said Bash. "Have a pleasant day, Kenna." He bowed his head and continued walking to his chambers.

"Bash, wait," She called out. Turning his head to glance at her, he noted that she seemed sad and anxious at the same time. Bash then proceeded to walk over to her.

"What is it?"

"I need to speak to you about something," she began speaking with a voice that was barely audible. "About Adèie."

"What about her?" Bash now spoke in a more serious tone, at the sound of Adèle's name. The smile had been wiped off from his face, for he knew that whatever she needed to speak of her with him, the conversation would not end well. 

"I know you still love her, and I know that is why you left me at the altar during our wedding day, and that is something I can never forgive you for, but it's just.."

"I know you will never be able to forgive me, Kenna, but I can assure you that you shall soon forget it once you find the right person to marry." He clutched her hand gently, and spoke in a reassuring tone.

"That is not what I am trying to say, Bash."

"Then what are you trying to say?"

"Please, just don't interrupt me first," she replied. "I have decided that you can be with her, and I have found the courage in my heart to let you go.. just as she did when she gave up her own engagement to allow us to marry. But that is not the issue that I want to speak of with you. There is.. something else,"

"Kenna, I am more than happy that you have decided to let me be with Adèle. There is no other issue, for you can finally be with the one who you truly love and who you truly want to be with, and we shall be able to remain friends. Acquaintances, if you prefer,"

"That is the problem, Bash," she said, biting her lip. Looking evidently morose, Kenna tore her eyes away from him to gaze at the ground. "I have let you go, and yet I know, and I am sure that you know this too, that I will always be slightly infatuated with you, even we are to go our separate ways.. and if you do marry her, I will always be haunted by our obviously disastrous wedding day. That is why I need to a distraction to help me forget all my problems, and all the bad memories.."

"What kind of distraction are you suggesting?" asked Bash curiously.

"It is possible that I shall leave France for good. I have always wanted to travel the world, and I do not have to remain in the same place anymore."

"Are you suggesting that we do not see each other again?"

"..It is possible."

"Kenna, whatever I did that hurt you, I did not mean to do it. I cannot simply hate you, even if you don't know it,"

"I know," Kenna sighed. "But I think it is best that we leave our past behind. I want to see the world, and you want to be with Adèle. Is that not what our heart's deepest desires are?"

"Well, what will you do during your travels? You're not going to settle down and marry a high ranking noble, just as you always wished?"

"I have given up all dreams of marriage. I want voyage and see the world, live on ships, and wake up to the sounds of the sea each dawn," she said with glee. "That is my only wish."

Bash could not help but smile at her excitement. "You have certainly changed. I wonder what changed you?" 

"Nothing, really, except for the fact that I realised I will not let my life go to waste by marrying someone and taking care of children until I am a elderly, senile woman," 

"Well, I wish you luck on your travels, Kenna. I do hope you find happiness in voyaging the great seas."

"And I, too, Bash. I do hope you win Adèle's heart, for you belong only to her."

Kenna had never been more right.