XXXVII. Bash

Bash loathed dancing.

He despised having to move his feet around and twirl in front of a crowd. Although, he danced for young women, solely for the reason to let them bask in the delight of dancing romantically with a man. But still, he still despised dancing. Now, there was yet another reason why he hated dancing.

Adèle and a young man were dancing right before his eyes. They looked as merry as any other couple in the room, merrier, even. To see him grab her by her waist, and to see her face grow nearer to his face, that a kiss might become a possibility during their dance.. It was a sight that he did not want to see. Kenna, who stood next to him and was chatting away with several other nobles, with names he did not even bother to learn. He did not know if she acknowledged his presence, for he was standing right before the crowd that was dancing. If she did, then she is currently ignoring (something Bash has learnt to tolerate, but still very much dislike. He had told her after their kiss that they could simply remain friends. Although afterwards, she playfully hit him on the shoulder, even though it pained him.) If she did not, then it was understandable.

"Who is that man over there, the one dancing with Adèle?" asked Mary, who, too, was standing next to him. "Do you know his name?"

Mary looked at him with a curious expression painted on her face, and in this expression there was somewhat a hint of vexation. It was true that Mary was vexed that Bash could not stop pursuing Adèle, even though he knew that she has given everything for him and Kenna. "And why should I tell you?"

"It's simply a question. Is acquiring someone's name a crime nowadays?" He joked.

"That, Bash, is Stéphane Laurent, a rich noble from the north of France, who comes from a family of merchants and traders. I have not heard much of him, but I know he is a traveller, and frequently visits exotic countries. He has made trades with men all over the world. He is a very intelligent man, I have heard, with a particularly vast knowledge in philosophy and life sciences."

"Is he popular, this Stéphane?"

"Oh, very. He has many female and male admirers as well, I have heard. He's a very good match for Adèle, don't you think?"

Bash merely grunted in response.

"They are both very intelligent people, I must say. A couple like no other," She said, casually mocking his jealousy. Bash grew tired of her little jests, and turned to wine, who gave him his sole comfort that evening.

The wine grew bitter in his mouth as he watched Adèle and Stéphane exited the feast, hand in hand, as the dance came to an end.