Chapter 4: The Cheer Squad

Emma's POV

----

Mason had been the only boy I'd liked for so long that I barely recognized my feelings for Noah at first. If you asked me back then, I would have said there's no way a person could all for two people at once. 

Of course, I was wrong.

-

"There's a lot about Noah Harris that you don't know. " Ava said.

"Like what?" I asked her.

"He's... What's the best way to put this?" She asked. 

"Trash." Lauren joked.

"I was going to say 'complicated.' He's been in juvie since freshman year. Ever since... Well, no one really knows what happened." Ava said.

"But they say he was robbing Mason's house." Toni stated.

"That sounds... completely ridiculous. He didn't seem like a hardened criminal." I said, not believing any of this.

"Oh, sweet Emma... if only we could all as blissful naive as you. But from what I've heard, that's just the tip of the iceberg." Lauren said.

"I also heard he got shot." Toni said.

"I heard he got sent to solitary for ripping this guy's nose ring out of his face and then won a fight against four guards with a toilet seat. And then he, like, stole this piece of metal from the machine shop an used it to carve an escape tunnel hidden behind a poster--" Iris continued..

We all stared at her

"But it's possible that's just a rumor!" She said.

"I... I haven't heard any of this stuff." I said, shockingly.

"You alright, Emma? Was he threatening you?" Ava asked, worryingly.

"Actually, he was surprisingly... sweet." I respond.

"My cousins once thought the tigers at the zoo looked sweet. Then she jumped down into the enclosure. I miss her." Iris said, sadly.

"You mean she..." I started.

"...moved to Boston. Also, he got banned from the zoo. But I'm pretty sure those things are unrelated." She said finishing my sentence.

"Iris, what did I tell you about speaking?" Lauren asks, madly.

Iris immediately went quiet, wilting under Lauren's glare. Lauren turned her sights on me next with a smirk.

"Isn't it a little weird that you don't now anything about Noah? I mean... is your brain even more dysfunctional than I thought?" She asked.

"But I... Back then..." I stuttered, memories coming back to me, three years ago.

-flashback-

Three years ago...

"Emma, you're not gonna believe what the're saying about that new guy on the football team... Earth to Emma? What's wrong?" Ava asked, worryingly.

I barely registered what Ava was saying as I read the texts from my dad over and over...

11:16 AM-----------

Dad: Emma, I need you to call me right away. Your mother's surgery didn't go as planned.

She had an unexpected reaction to the anesthesia. Please call as soon as possible.