Chapter 9: Trouble in Paradise

This chapter is dedicated to @BunneiGirl for all the love and support! <3333

~

Emma's POV

----

A rap against my window jarred me room sleep... and a dream about Mason. A dream of a summer where we spent every day together...

Tap. Tap.

But now he was with Ava all the time. I'd be lucky to catch just a glimpse of him in the hallway.

Tap. Tap. Tap. 

I opened my window, ready to shoo off whatever pesky bird was there, when...

"Whoa!"

...a pebble narrowly missed my head!

"My bad!" Mason apologized.

"Mason, what're you doing here? It's seven in the morning!" I yelled.

"So, We're the two psychos who do our weekend jogs first thing in the morning, rain or shine. You know that. Did you forget?" He asked, smiling.

"No, I just thought you and Ava would be... Never mind. Lemme get my sneakers." I smiled. 

-

I tried to keep my eyes off Mason as we jogged through the park. He belonged to Ava now, and I didn't want to mess that up.

"You okay over there?" Mason asked.

"A lot's changed lately, so I'm just... processing. Is this a really a good idea? Are you sure you wouldn't rather be with Ava right now?" I asked.

"Ava isn't even awake  this early. Besides, morning jogs are our  thing. I'm not one of those friends who disappear just because they're dating someone." He remarked.

"Mason... This just isn't how it used to be. I'm glad you and Ava are together, but... things feel different now. And I'm worried they'll never go back to the way they were." I told him.

"Emma, we've been friends for way too long for me to let that happen... Anyways, I'm not the one who's been busy. How exactly did you end up getting all buddy-buddy with Noah Harris?" He asked.

Mason tried to keep his voice light, but I could sense something brewing there. Maybe it was just friendly concern, but...

"On the first day of school, he helped scare off a thug who was trying to sell me Adderall." I stated.

"Someone was trying to sell you Adderall? " He asked, stunned.

"In the back parking lot, yeah. Noah came just in the nick of time, and we hung out a little bit afterwards." I said.

"Hold up. Stop for a minute." He said.

Mason grabbed my shoulder and pulled up to a stop.

"Listen, Emma. Part of why I brought you out here this morning was to warn you about Noah... He's bad news trust me. Stay away from him." He warned.

"I appreciate the concern, but I don't think going to juvie is contagious.. Noah is perfectly nice and I don't get why everyone gives him so much grief." I affirmed.

"Emma... I know you had a lot going on freshman year, but I knew him back them. Personally. Just be careful, okay? That's all I'm saying." He alerted.

I didn't want to spend the rest of our morning talking about Noah. Especially when he was clearly a sore subject. 

"You know, I need some coffee before I collapse. And It's your turn to pay." I said.